Panasonic RP-HJE50 Ety mod, anyone tried it?
Jun 3, 2005 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

renesis_au

100+ Head-Fier
Hi people, was doing some browsing today, and I stumbled across some people suggesting that the Ety tips may fit on the HJE50. Before I fork out some money for some tips, does anyone have any experience with the mod, and if any other adjustments need to be made before they fit? I don't want to stick them in and then find out after pulling the 'phones out, the tips are stuck in me ear......not a good situation to be in. Thanks

Jun 3, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 15
i don't have any experience with it, but I would assume the er6 (not er6i or er4) tips fit on the pana's.

Jun 3, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 15
Would you assume the mod would change anything? I assume it would give me more isolation, but sound quality not sure. What is the difference between the ER6 and ER6i tips apart from the number of flanges?

Jun 3, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks Bolt, in that thread you mentioned that you removed the filters, by filters do you mean the thin membrane that covers the hole on the tube on the earphones? Also someone at the end of that particular thread mentioned that they could not fit the ER6 tips on it, any ideas?

Jun 3, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #6 of 15
They don't fit like they're stock tips, you have to force them on. But once they're on they're on for good.

As for the filter, yeah I was referring to the paper insert thing.
One final thing that should be done is increasing the size of the tube on the ER-6 tube itself so more treble gets through, too.

Jun 3, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 15
I assume removing the filter is non-reversible? Might have to reconsider it, is it essential to remove the filter? And you talked about lengthening the tube? How do you do that, because I don't really have experience modding anything as of yet. Could be easier to go and import a pair of ER6's.

Jun 3, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 15
Removing the filter is non-reversible, but you can always make a new one with aluminum foil, and then you can customize the size of the hole to your liking.
As for widening the ER-6 tip's sound tube, you could just stretch it over a ballpoint pen or something.

Jun 3, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #10 of 15
I'd say it is, unless you want the bass to overpower the treble and basically switch the sound signature of the HJEs around.

However, keep in mind that you can always make a new one with about 15 seconds of work, and foil filters are better sounding than the paper ones.

Jun 3, 2005 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 15
Thanks for the info Bolt, its just that I'm a real noob, and I mean it. I can pull apart computers, but when it comes to miniaturized items, and especially these are my only 'real' quality listening equipment at the moment, I'm hesitant. And the fact I got these from Singapore which is very far away.

Jan 20, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #15 of 15
I've tried the tips from my E2c, but wasn't that happy with the result. The Shure tips are made for a different design of earphone, of course, and I couldn't get the HJE50's in far enough for the tips to be any good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back