Panasonic Portable DVD-A player
Aug 13, 2001 at 8:49 PM Post #16 of 20
mc wack, good point re: dvda winning over sacd. the only argument i can give against that is sacd plays in regular cd players, while dvda does not.

an audio engineer i know did line-level matched blind comparisons in a recording studio between dvda, sacd, dts, and dolby. he liked dvda best, which of course caused all kinds of recriminations and flames!! sometimes i think these folks take this audio stuff too seriously.

Aug 13, 2001 at 11:30 PM Post #17 of 20
Well, not all SACD's will play in regular CD players. Only the Hybrid discs. I don't know if that's how they all come or not. Just a semantic argument.
wink.gif

My choice is to wait it out until there is more of a selection. I'm really not a huge jazz or classical fan (played it for too many years). And that's all there is on both sides. Also, these are for the most part first gen mid-fi players. The prices will drop as more and more come out. And the technology will get better as well.

But whatever, my mind is wandering...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 14, 2001 at 3:01 AM Post #18 of 20
Yeah, I've just seen Kind of Blue SACD in local Virgin Megastore... I was quite surprised actually, it was sitting among CDs, as if "one of them". Apart from high price ($34 Canadian) there's also a sticker announcing that it won't play in anything but a SACD player. Where is one to buy a SACD player here is beyond me as even Sony Store doesn't carry them...

Aug 19, 2001 at 3:50 PM Post #19 of 20
Okay. I have two questions:

1- Does this portable has some sort of antiskip protection? If I decide to buy one of these portable DVD-A players, I want to know if I am going to be able to walk around with it. I don't care about taking it to the gym, so the antiskip wont have to be really that good.

2- Would it be able to play a hybrid SACD? Since it plays on every other normal Cd player, maybe it can be done with these.

Anybody cares to answer this questions, please? Take care kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back