http://www.atman-usa.com/exec/SoftCa....html?E+pcrush

Super-thin design, only 5/8 of an inch thick for convenient travel
Plays DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Video CD & CD discs
Fully-featured for use as home DVD-Audio and DVD-Video players
36-key Slim Size Remote Control for convenient operation
Headphone V.S.S. provides great sound even with headphones
Digital Audio Out (Optical) for enhanced system flexibility

all for only $265.

Just thought someone might be interested.

P.S. No, I don't work for them.

Aug 7, 2001 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 20
I don't think there is too much of an advantage of the high-res formats unless the other componants in the signal path are also very good. So while this DVD-A player is quite affordable (the cheapest high-res player i've seen!), i don't think it could outperform an average redbook CDP with a good amp...

Quote:

High-Performance Multibit D/A Conversion System for super high fidelity sound

not at that price...

Aug 7, 2001 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 20
It looks like an awesome unit, I posted about it a while ago.. However, there are a few caveats:

1) Battery life. It lasts 5-8 hours on a proprietary lithium-ion battery.

2) Unlike the screened units, that lithium ion battery isn't included, it is $150 or so extra. It uses proprietary connectors, I think, to strap onto the bottom of the unit (thus making it thicker than 5/8"), and I don't think you can fashion a battery pack for it...

-Alex

Aug 7, 2001 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 20
I've heard portable DVD players are the rave as portable audiophile players in Japan...don't know if it is true.

Aug 8, 2001 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 20
Here are some pics of the unit.

Back view:
x133dvdpa65-b.jpeg

Top view:
h133dvdpa65-f.jpeg

Unit opened:
h133dvdpa65-o.jpeg

I also found it for 255.96
here:

Aug 8, 2001 at 6:37 AM Post #9 of 20
hmmm, somehow i doubt that its actually DVD-A... it probably has a 96khz x 24bit DAC, but i doubt that it can support true DVD-A at 192 x24. It was probably a typo, the website just lists as many terms as it can, since the average consumer will buy it based on the number of cool features it has even if they don't know what they are...

Aug 8, 2001 at 6:40 AM Post #10 of 20
I saw the LA85 model (Same as the PA65, but has a 7" screen and includes a battery). It DOES say "24/192" (If I recall correctly, in the top left hand corner, or something), and the PA65 and LA85 are the ONLY two portable Panasonic DVD's with DVD-A support.

I don't know if it has a true 192kHz DAC, but it should be able to read 24/192 discs.

Aug 8, 2001 at 1:45 PM Post #11 of 20
I'm suprised Panasonic doesn't market this much. I went to their page and they have hardly any info on it. If they don't think it's worthy of being marketed, maybe it's a POS.

Maybe when I can find it for $100 I'll get it.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 8, 2001 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 20
mc whak: When's the last time you saw a commercial for Sony CD3000s? Compare THAT to the advertising for crappy Sony CD Walkmans - which is better; which is marketed more?

Aug 13, 2001 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 20
i am also interested in this unit for a portable audiophile player. i collect high end portables, and this looks like a nice one.

-has anyone here ever used one of these with good headphones? i'm less interested in speculation than actual testing.

-do you think sacd will replace dvda making players like this obsolete? sony is planning on releasing a sacd discman in the future.

-does this dvda player come with an internal battery option (like 4 aa batteries), or do you hve to buy the external one? why is it the same battery life as the version with the lcd screen? lcd screens suck up a lot of battery juice.

bootman, thanks for those pics. now excuse me while i mop up the drool on my keyboard!

Aug 13, 2001 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 20
I personally feel that if either of the formats survives, it'll probably be DVD-A. Not based on sound quality, just the fact that newer DVD-V players will also contain DVD-A playback.

And no, I don't think it has an internal battery option. I think you either plug it in or buy the optional Li-Ion pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back