Panasonic "MASH"?
Jan 4, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 6
I have an old Panasonic MASH player - I think it's just some gimmicky name they gave to the dac. google says it stands for "multi-stage noise shaping," some kind of digital signal processing, I guess.

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have such a CD player, but do not understand what MASH means. Delta-sigma modulation? Really? Or something else?

Multi-stage noise shaping.
Not sure if it is some kind of digital filter or special circuit of DAC(Noise Shaping exist since the early 1bit DAC was announced),or,maybe just delta-sigma-like things(You know Japenese seems like to "make things complicated than it is"
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 6
Searched "multi-stage noise shaping": it is some sort of delta-sigma modulation, although the explainations are quite advanced for me to understand. Seems nice on paper, doubt how much of a difference it would make, compared to a non-MASH player, on sound quality.
Thanks, guys.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have such a CD player, but do not understand what MASH means. Delta-sigma modulation? Really? Or something else?

It came out in the early 1990's with the Technics/Panasonic CD players.

When I compare the modern portable CD players from the same manufacturers with the earlier MASH ones (1 bit DAC), I find the earlier ones have a richer and more distinct soundstage. The later ones are a confusing mess of instruments on a cluttered soundstage.

It seems to have worked for decades for the Technics/Panasonic group. Not just marketing hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back