Panasonic DVDLV70
Oct 5, 2002 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

luvmypt

New Head-Fier
I'm getting a Panasonic DVDLV70 for my birthday to be used on long flights. I need to know if there is a sealed medium size headphone I can use with this device. My main objective is to not hear the engine noise but to hear nothing but the music and the words of the movies. Also my wife, who is giving me this gift, will be wanting a second set of headphones to listen in while she watches the movies with me. With this set up will I need an amp to boost the audio signal when there are two headphones connected to the device. TIA

Don

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 10
The Sonys v-6 have a very good reputation …they are not too expensive and are closed ..they may be a good option for you. Try to search under “sony v6” or “closed” or something like that on the search option on this boards…also, it will be great if you can post a review about the audio capabilities of your new portable dvd player…and one more thing…welcome and sorry for your wallet (someone said that to me not too long ago…at first I didn’t understand…now I know he/she was right…since then I wanted to say that to someone else…hahaha
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 8, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 10
luvmypt:

The Sony MDR-V6 can be found below.

Yahoo! Shopping - Search

They're virtually identical to the more expensive Sony MDR-7506 which can sometimes be found locally in "guitar" stores. The MDR-7506 has a gold-plated plug, for example.

As to whether or not you'll need an amp to drive two MDR-V6s at once, well more than likely. The use of an amp should also help to conserve your players's battery life.

But do go into your DVD player's printed documentation and check the audio output specifications. This really is rather important, even if you're just driving one headphone.

Does the player have an analog line-out in addition to a headphone-out? What are the specific output specifications for these ports?

Post back with this information and someone should be able to advise you.

TravelLite

Oct 8, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 10
Here's the info. Hope it means something to somebody.

Don

Features

7-inch Diagonal Widescreen LCD Monitor for big screen excitement
Super-thin design, less than 1-inch thick for convenient travel
Plays DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Video CD & CD music discs
Up to approximately 5 hours of playback with included battery pack (5 hours with screen set at min. brightness)
Built-in Recharger function for added convenience
Normal (4:3) / Wide (16:9) / Zoom Screen Selector lets you adjust the picture size
Built-in Stereo Speakers for great sound just about anywhere
Optical digital output for DTS® & Dolby Digital Surround Sound allows for amazing home theater sound quality (requires additional Optical Toslink cable & digital decoding receiver for 6 speaker output)
Advanced VSS simulates surround sound when hooked up to 2 front speakers
Energy Star Compliant
Fully-featured for use as home DVD-Audio and DVD-Video players

Connections

Video In/Out 1 Minijack
Stereo Audio In/Out 1 Minijack
(Doubles as Mini-optical Out)
S-Video (S-VHS) Jack
Headphone Jack w/volume
Optical Digital Output (Toslink)
DC 9V Power In

Specifications

Discs Accepted: DVD (video), DVD (audio), VCD, CD (audio), & DVD-R
Display: 7" 16:9 Wide-screen LCD
Video Terminal: Composite input/output (Minijack) & 1 S-Video jack
Analog Audio Out: Two-channel mix output (L/R), built-in two-channel stereo speakers, headphone jack
Digital Audio Out: DTS/AC-3/PCM optical output
Analog Audio In: Left & right channel input (1 jack)
DAC: 27MHz/10-bit Video D/A 96kHz/24-bit Audio D/A
Battery recharge time: 5 hours
AC Adapter Input: AC 120 volt 50/60Hz
Dimensions: 7.3" W x 1" H x 5.5" D (1½"H w/battery)
Unit Weight: 1.2 lbs. / 2.2 lbs. W/battery
Shipping Weight: 5 lbs.

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 10
luvmypt:

Heh, I was really hoping for more detail, i.e., numbers. That's why I mentioned printed documentation.

Frankly, for your needs, my advice would be to purchase one MDR-V6 from an online store. Based on the information in your first post they seem a pretty safe choice, a good all-round closed headphone. They're also are fairly easy to drive.

Test the MDR-V6 from your player's headphone-out. Make sure you can drive them to a satisfactory volume level with power to spare, i.e., without turning the player's volume control to 100%.

Then, buy a pair of Sennheiser MX500s. These can often be found in Borders bookstores. The MX500 has its own inline volume control which should simplify things.

One shortcoming may be that the MX500 may or may not isolate very well from ambient noise in an aircraft cabin. Personally I don't really know.

Then pick up an inexpensive mini-to-mini splitter plug locally from RadioShack. Connect that to your player's headphone-out.

I mention the above because you could easily end-up spending several hundred dollars, for what I assume is just going to be sharing the DVD player with your wife when you're flying. This may also help cut-down on "cable fatigue" in small, coach-class airline seats, LOL.

But, be advised...there are many "better" solutions...especially if you don't mind spending $1000+, LOL!

Sennheiser USA - MX Series:
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/pages/p...dphones/mx.htm

Gold-Plated 4-Piece Headphone Adapter Set:
http://www.radioshack.com/searchsku.asp?find=274-899

Also, if you haven't already done so, you should definitely check-out HeadRoom's website and read-up a bit.

HeadRoom Corporation:
http://headphone.com/layout.php

TravelLite

Oct 9, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 10
The Sony MDR-V6 really does not have very good isolation. Of course they're better than stock headphones or any open headphone, but I've used them on intranational flights (smaller planes, nothing bigger than a 737 or DC-10) and the engine and air noise were still too loud. This may not be the case if you're talking about intercontinental flights and you're seated in the middle section of a 747 or something, but I'd still suggest something that will give you better isolation.

I don't know how much you want to spend. The ultimate headphone for this use is the Etymotic ER4P. A cheaper alternative is the ER6. Both of these are canalphones -- they sit in your earcanal and make a complete seal. There are other full-sized headphones that give better isolation than the V6 if you don't want to stick things in your ears, but they won't be as effective as the Etymotics.

kerely

Oct 11, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks Travelite for your help. I used one of the links you gave me and I ordered a new pair of V6s. I was recently at a stereo store and I got to listen with the V-600s and I could barely hear the street noise so I think the V6s will serve my purpose.

Kerelybonto, thanks for the suggestion on the E4s and E6s but I can't do the stick in your ear thing. That's why I need the closed headphones.

I'll let you all know how the V6 holds up on my DVD player when we travel to Aruba next month for Thanksgiving. We are flying from PHL to AUA on an Airbus 320 and they have the seat power outlets so I also ordered a power adapter cable so I won't have to use the battery. Now all I need is some popcorn..lol

Don
cool.gif

Dec 20, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 10
Update

I got my Sony V6s and I used them for our flights from SCE to AUA and return this past November. I was really amazed at how well they blocked out engine and people noise. My wife had a pair of noise cancelling headphones which I tried and I can honestly say there was no comparison. The V6s with their ear cups won hands down. As far as the DVD player powering the V6s there wasn't a problem at all. The sound was very good and I had plenty of room on the volume control.

I also bought an aircraft power adapter to power the DVD player and I bought, at Radio Shack, two sets of aircraft Y adapters to plug the headphones into the armrest. All in all I'm quite satisfied with my setup. Thank's to everybody who steered me in the right direction.

Don

Dec 21, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #10 of 10
Given the price of the units, and especially the price of the BATTERIES. Well.

I bought a cheap Toshiba laptop for a couple of hundred bucks more. Needless to say, it has a larger screen, same battery life, same priced batteries, and it's a computer.

Headphones?

Noise cancelling are good, or the Etymotic ER6's with and Airhead amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back