Panasonic Digital Receiver & Athena As-Bx
Dec 18, 2005 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RageX

New Head-Fier
Preference: Neutral Midrange, Deep base/extension, present upper frequency as long as its not irritating or overwhelming.

After much research on speakers and amp on this forum, I decided to purchase a nice budget setup. I planned on buying the Athea AS-Bx series bookshelf paired with the recently raved Panasoic digital receiver line (SA-XRxx)

However when i searched this combo on the web to see if anyone has any comments on this budget combo, there were a couple sites that suggested that the panasonic amp which is "bright" feeding into the Athena Bookshelves which is also "bright" would end up producing "sibilance" supposedly "irritating high frequencies??

I was wondering does anyone else have opinions on this?
And if it isa bad combo, can I have some suggestions on other bookshelves that would pair up nicely with the panasonic..

Thank you

Dec 21, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't know about this particular setup, but in general I believe that good sounding budget speakers are much more difficult to find than a good sounding budget reciever. I'd think about getting your speakers first and then matching the electronics to them.

Dec 21, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 7
Many people on this board are reporting good results using with the "bright" T-Amp and "bright" AS-Bx's. In my personal experience, I've used the T-Amp with the Athena C-3s and Polk RT35i with good results. None of the setups have any sibilance issues.

Recommendations really depends on your budget though, since there aren't too many good speakers in the sub 200 range, and most of them trend towards brightness.

Dec 22, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 7
If it makes you feel any better, I am using my Panasonic SA-XR55K and Klipsch RB-5II's together and could not be any happier. I love the detail and soundstage. I do not hear any harshness on good recordings (that is the key, as most recordings of my style of music suck), but keep in mind that my view of harshness might be differnt than yours. I like detailed highs (not the same as harshness, IMO), and not the rolled off stuff. The midrange and bass is alsovery good to my ears. I read all around and people are saying the Panny is overall very flat, but that it is not forgiving in the treble department like a silk dome tweeter would be for speakers instead of a horn. I really feel that the Panasonic, from my experience, will bring out the detail of well recorded stuff and the horrendous qualities of badly recorded stuff. Personally, I am very happy with my Panny.

Bottom Line: If you like detail, the digital amps are your ticket to low cost and great sound, BUT they will make badly recorded stuff sound terrible.

Dec 22, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 7
It wasn't recent, but I had used my As-B1's and also Athena S.5 satellites with the Panasonic XR-25. I don't remember exact sound quality, but excess brightness or sibilance WASN'T an issue for me.

That said, I think the Sound Dynamics RTS-3 was an even better fit. You MAY be able to find a used pair ~$100 or so.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
If it makes you feel any better, I am using my Panasonic SA-XR55K and Klipsch RB-5II's together and could not be any happier. I love the detail and soundstage. I do not hear any harshness on good recordings (that is the key, as most recordings of my style of music suck), but keep in mind that my view of harshness might be differnt than yours. I like detailed highs (not the same as harshness, IMO), and not the rolled off stuff. The midrange and bass is alsovery good to my ears. I read all around and people are saying the Panny is overall very flat, but that it is not forgiving in the treble department like a silk dome tweeter would be for speakers instead of a horn. I really feel that the Panasonic, from my experience, will bring out the detail of well recorded stuff and the horrendous qualities of badly recorded stuff. Personally, I am very happy with my Panny.

Bottom Line: If you like detail, the digital amps are your ticket to low cost and great sound, BUT they will make badly recorded stuff sound terrible.

hahaha ok good to hear that
tongue.gif

thanks to you all, just in time for boxing day sale
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

thanks alot

Dec 29, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 7
I've been using the sonic impact t-amp with B&W 302 speakers and I do not think there is a brightness (or shrillness) issue. The amp sounds very clean and natural. Instruments have correct timbre. And the amp is amazingly quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back