Panasonic CT470 or CT570 for use with Grado SR80s?
Aug 8, 2001 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Milestones

100+ Head-Fier
I am going to upgrade my portable cd player and have decided to get either the CT470 or CT570. I will be using Grado SR80s and I listen almost exclusively to jazz.

If the sound quality of the two players is about the same I will probably get the CT570 as I understand it has a line out and the CT470 does not. However, if the sound quality of the CT470 is significantly better (as I have seen some persons here and at headwize claim), then I will go with it.

So what do you say. Head to head which one sounds better without an amplifier and with anti-skip protection turned off? Anyone done a direct "A - B" test with these CDPs with Grados?

Thank you in advance for your help. This site is great - although it is murder on my wallet.

Milestones

Aug 8, 2001 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 15
I can't help you out but I've been wondering the same thing. I've been checking out The ct470 (want the silver one not the blue hehe) and Im going to get some Grado SR80s. I dont have an amp either. Im dying to know if this is a good combination. Thanks for asking a great question
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2001 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 15
The SL-CT470 does have a line out, so that takes out the only reason you had for getting the SL-CT570. The 570 does have a 10 second uncompressed antiskip that would be good for walking with it in your hand which would make it skip with antiskip off.

The only reason I'd get the SL-CT570 over the 470 is the build quality with the aluminum lid, battery gauge, maybe I'd occasionally use the remote if it didn't sound too bad, and cause it looks better.

Aug 8, 2001 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 15
Yeah - but what about the sound comparison? Are they about the same sound quality wise - or is there a significant difference?

I can get a really good price on the 570 - so if the sound quality is about the same I probably would go for the extra features/build quality on the 570.

Aug 8, 2001 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 15
The people who can tell a difference between the 470 and 570 usually say the 570 is a bit brighter. That's all I can remember. I'd probably prefer the 570 since I like my Sony better than the Panasonic 470 and it's a little bit bright.

Aug 9, 2001 at 12:38 PM Post #8 of 15
I have a 570 myself. I love the unit. Looks very cool
smily_headphones1.gif
It's so small it fits in my jeans pocket. The anti-skip is great. Battery life with the supplied NiMH is excellent. I'm very pleased with sound and volume (grado 60).

I can see why some people call it "bright". I think it applies. But I'd like to add it isn't fatiguing or harsh in the treble either. Things sound balanced.

Which one is better, 470 or 570? I don't know. Both seem to have the same MASH DAC, so I guess they'd be quite similar.

Aug 9, 2001 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 15
Well I went ahead and ordered the CT570. So now of course everyone will probably chime in with their opinions that the 470 has vastly better sound quality than the 570.

From what I could gather from this thread no one seems to have a strong feeling that the 470 sounds better than the 570 and a few seem to prefer the slightly brighter sound of the 570.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how the 570 works with the SR80s when I recieve it next week.

Aug 9, 2001 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 15
I use the 570/sr 80 combo and think its great. I think the differences between similarly priced cd players are far more subtle than the differences between similarly priced headphones.

The 570 is a wonderful unit and have swapped it into my regular rig(just for the hell of it) where it replaced a $ 900 dollar cd player and it sounded damn good.

Enjoy.

Aug 9, 2001 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 15
Milestones: I have no take on either unit because I've never heard either unit, but I might be getting one sometime soon... so lemme know how you like the 570.

Also, have any good jazz cd suggestions? I listen to a lot as well but I'm always open for new stuff...

Aug 9, 2001 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 15
COLTRANE!!!

(yes - I mean ANYTHING, but that's just me...)

Especially AFTER A Love Supreme - lots of emotional music..

Aug 9, 2001 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 15
Jerikj:

How about some of my favorite jazz albums of the past few years:

Ben Allison - "Third Eye" or "Riding the Nuclear Tiger" (Palmetto)

Dave Douglas - "Magic Triangle" or "Leap of Faith" (Arabesque)

Scott Colley - "Magic Line" (Arabesque)

Ellery Eskelin - "Five Other Pieces + 2" (Hatology)

Andrew Hill - "Dusk" (Palmetto)

Dave Holland - "Prime Directive" (ECM)

Joe Lovano - "Trio Fascination" (Blue Note)

Branford Marsalis - "Requiem" (Columbia)

Brad Mehldau - any of the "Art of Trio" series (Vol.s 1-4) on Warner Bros.

Jason Moran - "Facing Left" (Blue Note)

Greg Osby - "Banned in New York" or "Invisible Hand" (Blue Note)

Check out some of these albums for a sampling of what I consider to be some of the finest modern jazz being made today.

Aug 9, 2001 at 5:24 PM Post #15 of 15
Greg Osby's Invisible Hand is good - but I was initially saddened by my purchase - I just accepted a Blue Train.....and got an Invisible Hand. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back