Palm-Pre-Fi
Jun 29, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #31 of 42
I got a few minutes to do a little listening to the Pre.

Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD2000
DAPS: Pre and Ipod Classic (160GB)
Music: (256kbps VBR MP3) Stevie Nicks - Rhiannon, Norah Jones - Painter Song, Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstacy

My firsts opinion is that it is not bad but not as good as the Ipod classic. I didn't really hear any hiss but there was a lot of background noise in my house at the time. Also, I haven't tried it with any IEMs yet. There was a lot of noise when I unplugged the headphones but no noise when I plugged them in. Also, since you have to control the volume with a button on the side (as far as I can tell), you can't control the volume as much as on the ipod.

Of course, I have to say that I am an Apple fangirl so take what I say with a grain of salt.
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #33 of 42
That depends. For one thing, the Pre only has 8GB of storage, quite small. I am also not sure if it has a line out so you probably wouldn't be able to use your headphone amp. It also depends on how picky you are about your sound quality. I would say that it is perfectly fine for the average listener. Many may say that it is quite good. Also, I haven't even been listening to my Ipod Classic very much lately (mostly have been using a ECD-1 + WA5 LE + HD800), so you should take that into account (my ears have become accustomed to this setup).

The main reason I won't be using it as an all in one solution is that it doesn't fit all of my music on it. Also, I like the software of the Ipod a lot better than the way the Pre the Pre plays music.

I haven't tried the iphone as a DAP but I have a friend that has one and is staying with me so I will try her's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see.. so definitely not a contender for an 'all in one' unit then? Ie. cannot replace the music playing capabilities for when we don't wanna lug two units?

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #34 of 42
I imagine the Iphone SQ is better as apple has a LOT more experience in that department then Palm, support line out and obviously, better software for music playing.

I was really hoping to avoid the iphone (not an apple fan
biggrin.gif
) but it seems that for audio, there simply is no better smartphone.

Thanks for your write up
smily_headphones1.gif
Now to morally debate it with myself

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I give all credit to Palm, for the Pre. not Sprint. Sprint had little to nothing to do with the development of the Pre and the WebOS. Other than compatibility with their network and paying for an exclusivity contract. The Pre doesn't even support Sprint's PictureMail service. And I don't remember seeing Sprint TV on there either (not that I use that a lot).

No no no - not the Pre, I meant credit to Sprint for even offering SERO in the first place.

As for sound quality on the Pre, like I said earlier, it's better than I expected - but I definitely wouldn't make it my only music player.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I chose Media Sync and opened itunes. It recognizes the Pre and thinks it is an ipod. Then it is just drag and drop (or auto sync if you happen to have a very small library and you want everything on the Pre - I doubt there are many that fit into this category here).

Seems like Apple released an Itunes patch to stop the Pre from working with Itunes. There is a workaround. Here is the story below:

Apple Bans Palm Pre from ITunes

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #39 of 42
Thanks for the warning and workaround. I hadn't updated my itunes yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like Apple released an Itunes patch to stop the Pre from working with Itunes. There is a workaround. Here is the story below:

Apple Bans Palm Pre from ITunes

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #40 of 42
I finally got to try out the Pre in a Sprint store today. I guess the UI is okay; takes a moment or two to get used it and learn from your pokes at the screen.

But gosh darn, the keyboard is really small and cramped.
confused_face.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally got to try out the Pre in a Sprint store today. I guess the UI is okay; takes a moment or two to get used it and learn from your pokes at the screen.

But gosh darn, the keyboard is really small and cramped.
confused_face.gif

Yep, the keyboard is cramped but you get used to it. It is a bit better than the Centro which is what I used to have. I still hope they can update it to have a touch screen keyboard to use (especially for landscape mode).

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #42 of 42
It look me a little while to get into the spirit of things with the UI. It's very different than anything else out there.

But that's the point! Once you embrace it and get used to it, you'll find yourself wanting to flick things around on your laptop. I swear, I unconsciously started making a hand gesture at my screen the other day...

As for the keyboard, it grew on me. I average 30wpm and max 40 at mobiletypingtest.com - but I was already used to the Treo. I've heard some blackberrys do it better. Haven't tried a recent one.

Mojo SDK is out now! The app floodgates will open toward the end of this year. 2010 is going to be an all-out war in the smartphone arena.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back