Pairing my AKG 701's and a Darkvoice 336i
Apr 5, 2007 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

piper78

New Head-Fier
So I'm just about ready to order a Darkvoice 336i on EBay to amp my AKG 701's that I just recently acquired, and I noticed the input jack is an RCA jack

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...m=170059869979

I'm not very techno-savvy here so my question is, what cable will I need to connect to my computer?

My plan was to use them both at work and at home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
eggosmile.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 6
Computers with built-in sound provisions generally have a mini-plug. You can buy a mini-to-RCA adapter cable to connect your computer to the 336i.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by denisavu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Computers with built-in sound provisions generally have a mini-plug. You can buy a mini-to-RCA adapter cable to connect your computer to the 336i.

This will work and produce sound, but you will be using the computer's built in sound subsystem. These are usually very poor. To achieve sound worthy of your 336i and K701s you need a DAC with a USB input, such as the Headroom Micro DAC, the April Music Stello DA100, or the Benchmark DAC1 with USB, or even something like the E-MU 0404.

If your computer has a FireWire interface you could use that with something like the Apogee Mini-DAC.

All these options mean spending money, but it doesn't make sense to buy the DarkVoice and the top-of-the-range AKGs and use them with a regular computer sound output.

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 6
I was wondering if I needed a DAC at first, (I'm using a Mac G5 tower at home and at work}, however, I was told on another forum that the DAC coming out of a Mac is very good so I could do without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back