Pairing help please. Both open and closed back recommendation with tube amp
May 25, 2014 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gr34td3str0y3r

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for some advice guys.
I want a nice pairing for acoustic music specifically blues and jazz, Chess Box recordings, etc.
don't worry about recommending a tube amp. I live in japan and most powered units for the USA won't work here due to different voltage.

What do you recommend for cans? Sub $500. Closed back and open back.
I have v-moda m100s. To say the least not particularly kind to mr muddy waters.
IEMs I have the ATM-im02. Very bright and analytical. Again, perfect for lots of music but not Buddy Holly.
I also have the Fidelo X1s which are pretty good for blues and jazz stuff. Is there anything that would pair better with a tube amp?

I am seriously thinking of the hifiman he4. Reviews on head--fi say that are leaps above the he-400 and he-500. But hard to amp. So I can't skimp on a tube amp when I get them. (Is the o2 amp powerful enough to drive the he4?)

So.....
Sub 500$
Open back cans for tube amp recommendation
Closed back cans for tube amp recommendation.
Music type: jazz, blues, Johnny cash (country), classical.

May 25, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 3
What kind of tube amp?  There is a world of a difference between an OTL amp and a push-pull amp and a SET amp.

May 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 3
The HE-4 seems to be fairly inefficient, so it may not be the best choice for tubes (this may be true for many planar magnetic headphones).  Also take any "leaps and bounds" claims with a grain of salt.
wink.gif

A safe bet would be something like the HD600.  Should work fine with pretty much any amp you throw at it, and any type of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back