Pairing: Denon AMP with the right Headphones - moved
Jan 22, 2021 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

NallyFace

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Originally posted in the help/recommendations, but I guess it's a bit boring over there! Would really appreciate some opinions as I am going around in circles with this one - I am sure I am not the first.

I am using a Denon PMA 720ae amp with some AKG K52 headphones right now. I am looking to upgrade and get some good headphones now I have the right space to sit and listen.

I listen to an eclectic mix but love detail, I want all the twinkles to shine and love hearing the stuff I get through my Shure SE425s and bookshelf Monitor Audio BX2 speakers.

Music taste, Radiohead to Pink Floyd to Bowie to Nick Cave to Brian Eno to Carbon Based Lifeforms. So eclectic but nothing described as pop or mainstream.

Bass is no huge thing for me but when it comes, for example I like some electronic music, I want it to work and punch. I suppose I can up the dial if needed.

I always use Reckoner by Radiohead as my go-to test song for these things, the symbols, the vocal at 1:33 goes so far back on my Shure 425's with a lossless file - it's what I crave and don't often hear, especially with crap Spotify sound.

Can anyone recommend the right cans for me? Or should I stop typing at get the HD600's?

Price range - up to £350 -£400, hope to get from Amazon as I have £150 voucher to burn!

I did originally hope to have something beautiful looking as well as sounding, wooden or similar but sound is the most important thing. I must admit the look of the HD600 does not really excite me, especially the lettering over the band but cant have it all.

Cheers all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back