Pairing AKG Q701 with an amp: Fiio e12 vs Fiio K5.
Feb 17, 2016 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Niroc

New Head-Fier
I've been running my Q701s through a Fiio X3ii paired with an e12 (with the bass booster on), and thought they were a great pair, especially as the AKG Q701s can do with a little extra bass. I recently decided to purchase the K5 as an upgrade, given they're advertised as having a greater output, and given they're a desktop amp,I thought Id get an even better sound from my cans. But to my surprise they lacked impact.

So I'm just wondering, what goes into pairing headphones? Is not simply more Watts for hard-to-drive headphones? If someone could help me understanding pairing my AKG q701s, and maybe how to get more out of my K5, as I find it hard to believe they could really be underperforming in comparison to the lower powered e12..

Thanks so much, 
From someone who would love to understand more about the headphone game.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 6
  I've been running my Q701s through a Fiio X3ii paired with an e12 (with the bass booster on), and thought they were a great pair, especially as the AKG Q701s can do with a little extra bass. I recently decided to purchase the K5 as an upgrade, given they're advertised as having a greater output, and given they're a desktop amp,I thought Id get an even better sound from my cans. But to my surprise they lacked impact.

So I'm just wondering, what goes into pairing headphones? Is not simply more Watts for hard-to-drive headphones? If someone could help me understanding pairing my AKG q701s, and maybe how to get more out of my K5, as I find it hard to believe they could really be underperforming in comparison to the lower powered e12..

Thanks so much, 
From someone who would love to understand more about the headphone game.

It's been a long time since this thread is started from you but that's the thing I'm wondering these days. K5 is stated as 150 mw@300 ohms, E12 is the same but K5 is like 20 Vp-p where E12 is 15 Vp-p. Isn't there a problem here? I mean, when it comes to 32 ohm, K5 is something like 1,5W, doubling the E12. Did you get the knowledge? Share me please. 

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 6
It's been a long time since this thread is started from you but that's the thing I'm wondering these days. K5 is stated as 150 mw@300 ohms, E12 is the same but K5 is like 20 Vp-p where E12 is 15 Vp-p. Isn't there a problem here? I mean, when it comes to 32 ohm, K5 is something like 1,5W, doubling the E12. Did you get the knowledge? Share me please. 

Hey mate, unfortunately I still to this day really do not understand how to appraise amps and headphones from a technical standpoint.
In terms of which one you might want, if you need to boost bass, then I'd say the e12. But if portability is no issue, and clarity and soundstage are priorities, then I'd go the K5.
I hope that helps at all.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 6
Hey mate, unfortunately I still to this day really do not understand how to appraise amps and headphones from a technical standpoint.
In terms of which one you might want, if you need to boost bass, then I'd say the e12. But if portability is no issue, and clarity and soundstage are priorities, then I'd go the K5.
I hope that helps at all.

Thank you!
I'm closer to K5 as well. I got some information about the technical problem that we face today. You can look at my thread, starting from post #14:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/831995/fiio-a5-e12-or-e12-diy

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 6

The explanation is right there, I just highlighted it. A cleaner amplifier will make bass cleaner - ie, tighter - and if some perceive that to be louder it's either because it was muddier with another amp that a clean bass hit sounds louder by comparison or an impedance issue (between the output and load) not only makes it muddy but reduces the bass output level as well.

In your case you're comparing a decent enough portable amp with bass boost on to an amp that doesn't have bass boost. On top of that, while normally a little bit more clean power can help, if your listening area has enough noise in it then that gets in the way of the bass, making bass boost have an even wider gap in what you can hear over something that is slightly cleaner in output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back