Pair with A900? pic included!
Jul 16, 2007 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

XenatR

Head-Fier
p1000304hm2.jpg

ok, so im totally new to amps, and wouldnt know where to start

as you can see, my current audio setup consists of an AudioTechnica ATH-A900, and Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers (optical in), both running off an AuzenTech X-Meridian soundcard

overall i am happy with my setup, but was wondering if adding an amp would give me much more

i mostly listen to hardcore dance music and play counter strike

if i was to purchase them, i would place them between my 22" monitor, and the Logitech control centre (theres a little space there! :p)

i dont really have a budget, because i dont really know what money will give considerable results, if any..

i mean, sure, i listen mainly to hardcore dance, but buying an amp may prompt me to listen to my other cds; jazz, rock, metal etc

Jul 16, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 14
I don't think a900 is one headphone to give you a run for your money
with amplifiers, so I would just stick to it =] Its a good headphone,
very capable for the money, without having an excessive take on
individual things like detail or extension.

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 14
A little off topic, but how do you like that monitor? I'm thinking of buying the same one. Is it good for gaming and normal web use? Is yours a S, A or C panel? Also for your question I don't think you will benefit too much from an amp, atleast not great enough to justify the cost of an amp.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 14
How do you currently have the A900s plugged in? I'd try direct from the stereo out of your sound card since that should offer pretty decent output there (I'm assuming you went digital from the card to the speakers).

The A900s can benefit from an amp, but it won't make as much difference as a lot of other ones. If you do you'd want to find an amp that would be more likely to add the characteristics lacking in the headphones (such as bringing out the mid-range). I found the Headfive to be a nice match, but it was my first headphone amp, so there might be better ones.

If you haven't already, you should look into the blu-tak mod, its pretty easy to do (and gives you the ability to tune the sound some and is also reversible if you for some reason don't like it). This will probably make more difference than an amp will (it did for me) and might cost you all of $10 if you go all out. It livened music up and I didn't feel that it hurt its capabilities for gaming or movies.

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by catchingsecond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little off topic, but how do you like that monitor? I'm thinking of buying the same one. Is it good for gaming and normal web use? Is yours a S, A or C panel? Also for your question I don't think you will benefit too much from an amp, atleast not great enough to justify the cost of an amp.

its the 22" 226BW - the monitor is really great. gaming is better i think than on the monitor next to it (19" 940B).. seems a little more responsive. the area it covers for a 4:3 aspect game, is pretty much the same as the 19", because the sides are cut off, which is cool. web browsing is great, and because its wide, i can squeeze more tabs into internet explorer
biggrin.gif

the colours are nice however, and the text is sharp, but in my eyes not very different to my previous one

downsides to this panel is that the backlight bleed is a bit more apparent to my 940B.. not sure whether this is to do with the settings i have not adjusted properly or what. im certainly not one for dynamic cr :p also, there are quite a few colour adjustments etc.. which is more than i would like

the other thing im puzzled about is the fact that my machine doesnt have S C or A on the back on the sticker.. even in the secret menu you can unlock, it doesnt say anything.. strange. im guessing i dont have the S panel though.. dont know just have that feeling :p

overall it is a very good screen, and im under the impression that its the best of the 22"s

which monitor will make way for it?

oh, and thanks all for help!! bluetack mod?
biggrin.gif

edit: another thing, the A900s are a good headphone right? what are you opinions on them

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 14
Do a search in the headphone forum for blu-tak mod and it should be pretty easy to find. Basically, you open up the headphone (the hardest part, but not really difficult to do), take some tacky adhesive putty (has a ton of different names, blu-tak is the one that stuck here) and line the cups. Then you take some cotton balls, pull them apart and put them on the tack (how much cotton and how you place it allows you to tune the sound). I think there's a foam piece in these headphones that they found was actually detrimental to the sound so you pull that too. It made as much difference as the amp did in my opinion (although I got rid of the amp before I had done the mod). I liked the result myself (just helped clean up the sound overall, and helped negate the inherent deficiencies).

Yeah, the A900s are good headphones. I liked my pair quite a bit (sold it as I was planning on going to a portable setup, wish I had them back now but oh well, I ended up trying different headphones which I like too).

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by XenatR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its the 22" 226BW - the monitor is really great. gaming is better i think than on the monitor next to it (19" 940B).. seems a little more responsive. the area it covers for a 4:3 aspect game, is pretty much the same as the 19", because the sides are cut off, which is cool. web browsing is great, and because its wide, i can squeeze more tabs into internet explorer
biggrin.gif

the colours are nice however, and the text is sharp, but in my eyes not very different to my previous one

downsides to this panel is that the backlight bleed is a bit more apparent to my 940B.. not sure whether this is to do with the settings i have not adjusted properly or what. im certainly not one for dynamic cr :p also, there are quite a few colour adjustments etc.. which is more than i would like

the other thing im puzzled about is the fact that my machine doesnt have S C or A on the back on the sticker.. even in the secret menu you can unlock, it doesnt say anything.. strange. im guessing i dont have the S panel though.. dont know just have that feeling :p

overall it is a very good screen, and im under the impression that its the best of the 22"s

which monitor will make way for it?

Thanks for the heads up. It will be replacing an old 19" CTR IBM G96 monitor, so it should be a huge improvement.

edit: I'm thinking of getting that same mouse pad too lol, how do you like it.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by catchingsecond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the heads up. It will be replacing an old 19" CTR IBM G96 monitor, so it should be a huge improvement.

edit: I'm thinking of getting that same mouse pad too lol, how do you like it.

which one lol :p

ive got an S&S sitting on top of a QcK+
biggrin.gif

i prefer the S&S as it is quick and easy glide, the qck is a slower but smoother surface, and i guess better for low sensitivity gaming

make sure you buy mouse skates for your mouse for optimum gaming.. then watch your mouse glide on ice
biggrin.gif

which mouse do you have?

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 14
I'm about to buy the MX518 and I figure I might aswell get a better mouse pad to go with it. Oh and I was refering to the QcK+. I'm gonna get the QcK mini as I don't have any room to fit a bigger mouse pad and I can get it for $10 CAD so why not give it a try.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 14
hmm.. have you tried any of the MX range before? ive had the MX510 before and it was nice, but imo the Msoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 is the best mouse ive ever tried.. and ive tried many mice :p

cool, the qck is nice, i bought it after having my s&s for a year, but went back to it because its far quick which i prefered, especially with my sens 4 in cs
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by XenatR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm.. have you tried any of the MX range before? ive had the MX510 before and it was nice, but imo the Msoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 is the best mouse ive ever tried.. and ive tried many mice :p

The explorer's are nice, but I love my MX518. I used to have the MX510 as well before, and am loving the 518. It's a bit more bigger so feels better in the hands esp. when gaming. As far as the A900, they're great headphones for the price, and the nice thing about them is that you don't need an amp to make them sound their best.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 14
MX series are excellent wired mice. I use to have MX510 for 3 years. When I upgraded to VX Revo (prefer wireless, plus its smaller, I use a laptop these days) I gave the MX to my roommate (about 8 months ago). The MX is still working great...while I broke my VX Revo (I dropped it a bit too much).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back