PAIN!: Need IEM help
Dec 8, 2009 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

oddity

100+ Head-Fier
Carrying around full-sized cans while on the move is really impractical. I tried using Koss Portapros but I gave up on them as they are uncomfortable for me, not to mention too ugly for words.

So that leaves IEMs, which for me is a problem.

I sustained some pretty serious ear damage during a deployment to Iraq. I had my ear-drums ruptured twice by explosions, causing a build-up of scar tissue in both my ears.

This scar tissue has made my ears hypersensitive to pain; standard IEM tips become uncomfortable very quickly, and inserting triple-flanged tips is agony. It helps quite a bit if the IEMs have an over-the-ear thingy to take some of the weight and pressure off of my ear canal.

So here is my three part question:

1) What IEMs ($100-175USD price range) with an over-the-ear thingy would you recommend for my situation?

2) Do you think that getting a set of custom molded ear pieces would help, and if so, where can I get it done/buy a kit?

3) Besides custom ear peices, what are some really comfortable ear tips?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 5
Sorry about your sustained injuries. I think the Westone 1 or Westone UM1 would fit the bill. The cable goes over the ear and it's within your price range. Comply foam tips are the most comfortable tips that I have tried. I think that both the 1 and UM1 already come with comply foam tips.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 5
I would choose an iem that has a small nozzle (like westone or shure models) and are capable of using a wide variety of tips. Soft, thin silicone tips (in my experience) exert the least amount of pressure on the ear canals. Foam tips press more and create a better seal, but could cause you a lot of pain.

Use the smallest tip that you possibly can while still getting a decent seal. This will minimize any pain.

In summary:

1. iem with small nozzle
2. buy tips to experiment with. You can never have too many extra tips.
3. silicone tips might apply the least amount of pressure
4. iems with smaller bodies might be better for you. lighter and less chance of putting pressure on your outer ear

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 5
The Sennheiser IE6/7/8 lines are very comfortable to wear, and they do not need to be deeply inserted in the ear. I would consider them in your scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back