page file defragger for 2k/XP
Feb 21, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 14
sounds like it might be cool, but it looks like it mostly tries to defrag your page file.. i put my page file on its own partition so it never gets fragged. i almost split it across a few drives for optimal speed. hmm, this still may be useful though.. booting in safe mode with 2k/xp takes a year and it still loads a lot of files.

Feb 21, 2003 at 6:51 AM Post #3 of 14
thanks, jessi.

i'll give it a try. (i use a static swap space size of 2.5x mem). and once a month i set defrag to run before booting.

grinch, putting the swap space on another drive will not gain you anything unless it's on a separate channel or another scsi drive. you also won't be able to write a dump file. best if you just use a static size and turn off some unnecessary services. cleaning out your registry (www.jv16.org) also helps. w2k, like xp, is a dynamic tuning system, so once you hit a sweet spot, it won't get too much faster.

Feb 21, 2003 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 14
I used this for nt4 and lost track of it when xp came out. (no version was available at the time.)
Its a neat utility.
These guys write some good code.

Feb 21, 2003 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
grinch, putting the swap space on another drive will not gain you anything unless it's on a separate channel or another scsi drive. you also won't be able to write a dump file. best if you just use a static size and turn off some unnecessary services. cleaning out your registry (www.jv16.org) also helps. w2k, like xp, is a dynamic tuning system, so once you hit a sweet spot, it won't get too much faster.

i'm not a ten year old. though i just explained that putting it on a separate partition will better help the system from fragging, yes i do have it split over several scsi drives and the speed change is very apparent. the first thing i do after an install is tweak the hell out of my services and kill everything. my system is over two years old now, but it still really holds its ground in my opinion because i know how to make it work well.

Feb 21, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 14
One of the best and most bullet-proof ways of preventing page-file fragmentation is to go into your Advanced Settings and setting your min/max size to be exactly the same.

OR!
1 - Remove Page File COMPLETELY
2 - Defrag HDD
3 - Restart
4 - Re-allocate page-file size (equal min/max settings, as stated above)

This will prevent it from ever being fragmented in the future.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 14
Actually, grinch is right. ANOTHER thing you can do is re-locate your IE Temp Files Folder to another drive other than your OS Drive

Personally, I have seperate 2Gb patitions, specifically for the Pagefile AND Temp files folder for both my WinXP and Win2K boot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by XXWoodmanXX
Actually, grinch is right. ANOTHER thing you can do is re-locate your IE Temp Files Folder to another drive other than your OS Drive

heh i was actually thinking of doing that the other day. my i.e. has been slow as hell lately, but only once in a while. most of the time it pops right up, but other times it's slow as hell.. so i'm not sure what to do yet. either way, good idea.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 14
I'm not sure about this so don't go out and do it and b0rk something, but I believe that all you need to do is delete your pagefile, and it will be re-created in a contiguous block the next time you reboot.

Feb 22, 2003 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 14
Woodie, Quote:

1 - Remove Page File COMPLETELY

are you mad?
biggrin.gif

Grinch,

I never implied anything else. I have too much respect for you.

Feb 22, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Woodie, are you mad?
biggrin.gif

Heh, depends on how much RAM he has. I have enough RAM to never really use the page file. It just stays at its minimum (153MB), while I have 750MB of RAM free.

Feb 22, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Grinch,

I never implied anything else. I have too much respect for you.

same goes for you. glad you brought back harry.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
Heh, depends on how much RAM he has. I have enough RAM to never really use the page file. It just stays at its minimum (153MB), while I have 750MB of RAM free.

Unfortunately, windows likes its pagefile, it needs its pagefile. It's a kind of security blanket, you see. Even if Windows has more GB of memory than the size of its hard drive, it still reaches to the pagefile for certain things. The ideal, if you have an insane amount of memory, is to make a 1MB partition, make a fixed-size 1MB(or whatever the minimum is)pagefile on that partition, and never ever touch it again.

Feb 22, 2003 at 9:08 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Squalish
The ideal, if you have an insane amount of memory, is to make a 1MB partition, make a fixed-size 1MB(or whatever the minimum is)pagefile on that partition

now wouldn't this physically wear out the drive faster with all those calls going out to a partition beyond the main, closer one on the disk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back