Paganini - 24 caprices Which recording do YOU like and why?
Apr 15, 2005 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kunwar

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
for those of us crazy about violin music and gr8 playing, I would like to know which 24 caprices recording is your favorite and why.
I have heard Perlman, Midori, Kaler and Rabin. Of the 4 I find the Rabin probably the most fiery one, perlman is virtuoso playing, Midori oh so delicate yet correct and Kaler does a gr8 job at bringing emotion to the recording.

Which recordings have you heard and why do you prefer a certain recording?
Your opinions are very welcome
Kunwar

Apr 15, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 12
I bought this one on the basis of a magazine review. Nice sound. Very energetic playing. Not something I listen to often, but I've not felt the need to look for a better performance.

B000001G5O.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

BW

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 12
I like Salvatore Ricci because it is the only one I have!
tongue.gif
I heard most of the Perlman on the radio once and it seemed nice and smooth.

Apr 16, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 12
As a curiosity and not precisely classical, but if you like rock music this is a must, it is a work based on the Paganini A Minor Caprice, a curiosity album IMO.....The musician selection is top notch: Gary Moore, Don Airey, John Hiseman, Rod Argent, Barbra Thompson, and Julian Lloyd Webber on the cello....

B00000IANS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 12
Sovkiller - Thanks for the recommendation mate, will check that one out,

are there so few paganini lovers here? Oh well doesn't matter, Someone will read this I am sure and reply.

Thanks guys , please keep posting your opinions as and when you read this thread.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #10 of 12
I believe that Michael Rabin's recording is among the best of the 24 Caprices. James Ehnes has a solid contemporary recording of the Caprices and I would not hesitate to endorse a recommendation for it.

Aug 1, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDesign
I believe that Michael Rabin's recording is among the best of the 24 Caprices. James Ehnes has a solid contemporary recording of the Caprices and I would not hesitate to endorse a recommendation for it.

Seconded, Rabin & Ehnes stand out to my ears. I recall Ricci's intonation rather suspect.

Aug 1, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #12 of 12
I only have Perlman and it sounds quite boring to me.
I am a big fan of Paganini's violin writing, though.
I prefer his concerti #1 and #4 over any other violin concerto, such as Beethoven, Brahms, Bruch's pair (don't forget Scottish Fantasy), Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Sibelius or Bach's pair (just to name concertos that I have at least two recorded versions).
I started out as a big Perlman fan but I find my taste gradually moving away from his style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back