Padswap on HD 660s
Oct 23, 2019 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Barashka

New Head-Fier
Hello,
So I have HD 660s, which are amazing in every way except low end base (and very low end).

I've been reading up that Dekoni Elite Velour pads might improve that a little without sacrificing too much? Dekoni has quite a few choices though .. elite velour is the one to go for when asking for a bit more umph?

I'd love some suggestions.
Thank you.
Cheers.

Oct 24, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 12
Fenestrated sheepskin is best. I have them on my 6XX and I'd never take them off.

I got the Elite Velours by mistake once and was not impressed. The sheepskin is so nice with the Dekoni pads, the single strip of velour on top of the Elite pads is an actual degradation. (Maybe it's because their velour is not so great, either.)

Keep in mind that while Dekoni does great things, they also do not-so-great things (like their velour). I thought the fenestrated sheepskin pads for the HD800 were so bad they should be taken off the market. In the case of the HD800, the space holding the ear is meant to be inside the can frame. This is why the stock Senn pads are so flat and thin. The Dekoni pads for the HD800 move the ears outside of the can, into a space formed by the pads. The result is something so horrible it should be illegal.

On the other hand, with the Senn 580/600/650 series headphones, the space surrounding the ears is supposed to be formed by the pads. So, the Dekoni pads are marvelous (esp. the fenestrated sheepskin). Even the plain sheepskin are marvelous on the TH/TR-X00 phones. Those were actually the first time I tried the Dekoni pads and liked them so well I ordered them for the Senn 6XX. It was my 3rd try with the HD800 that was a total strike-out.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 12
I now have the hybrid Dekoni's on my HD660S, and find them quite comfortable, with just a little bass lift, and not much else different. IMHO, of course.

I tried them on my HD650, and although more comfortable than stock, again there wasn't a huge sonic difference.

I prefer the plain sheepskins on my HD600, but hated them on HD650/HD660S.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 12
Anyone tried Yaxi pads on these? That’s another option, but I suspect they’re going to sound a bit off with anything other than the stock pads. It’s not just about the material on the outside, the foam density is going to affect the sound as well.

Oct 24, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 12
Hello,
So I have HD 660s, which are amazing in every way except low end base (and very low end).

I've been reading up that Dekoni Elite Velour pads might improve that a little without sacrificing too much? Dekoni has quite a few choices though .. elite velour is the one to go for when asking for a bit more umph?

Most basic requirement for what you need is denser, thicker foam than what the factory puts in there. Leather around it instead of velour also helps as it seals the sound both ways - keeps the sound from the drivers in while kind of sealing one spot where ambient noise can come in.

That said...leather is quite hot and in my case just getting rid of the ambient noise can often be enough. This is why I stopped using my desktop PC (my old motherboard can only bring down the case fans to 50% unlike my Z170 Gaming 5 which can go down to 0% on all headers except for the pump header) and use a low power, fanless source.

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 12
Fenestrated sheepskin is best. I have them on my 6XX and I'd never take them off
you need is denser, thicker foam than what the factory puts in there. Leather around it instead of velour also helps as it seals the sound both ways

Sounds like "Fenestrated sheepskin" is the way to go then .. it doesn't make low-mids too boomy for you? A few people mentioned Elite Velour only brings up only the sub-base, but the Sheepskin tends also make low mids too boomy, did you notice that or you think it still sounds natural enough?

Oct 24, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 12
I think Dekoni makes great pads as I have a pair of Elite Hybrids on my HD-800’s and love them it takes an already comfortable headphone and makes it just a bit better it did narrow the soundstage just a bit but the 800’s have a bunch they can give up and it does knock the highs down a bit without giving up any detail just a nice pad. Now with what @tomb has said about the fenestrated sheepskins on the 6xx’s makes me want a pair.

Oct 25, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 12
Sounds like "Fenestrated sheepskin" is the way to go then .. it doesn't make low-mids too boomy for you? A few people mentioned Elite Velour only brings up only the sub-base, but the Sheepskin tends also make low mids too boomy, did you notice that or you think it still sounds natural enough?
No ...
and addressing ProtegeManiac's comment up there, the fenestrated sheepskin are very cool. They don't get hot and are always cool to the touch when you first put them on. I have never had an issue with heat and sweat (conditioned indoors) using the fenestrated sheepskin. I can't explain it well enough, but the cool-to-the-touch is incredibly satisfying when you first put them on. It's like my ears want to feel them and look forward to it. Yeah, that sounds weird, I know. :wink:

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 12

It depends on other factors really. If you wear them tight and then don't even adjust when you put on thicker, denser pads, they'd likely get really boomy. Wear them with a relaxed grip, probably not.

No ...
and addressing ProtegeManiac's comment up there, the fenestrated sheepskin are very cool. They don't get hot and are always cool to the touch when you first put them on. I have never had an issue with heat and sweat (conditioned indoors) using the fenestrated sheepskin. I can't explain it well enough, but the cool-to-the-touch is incredibly satisfying when you first put them on. It's like my ears want to feel them and look forward to it. Yeah, that sounds weird, I know. :wink:

Maybe sheepskin tends to be a little bit more porous and/or thinner than cowhide and other types of leather.

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #10 of 12
It depends on other factors really. If you wear them tight and then don't even adjust when you put on thicker, denser pads, they'd likely get really boomy. Wear them with a relaxed grip, probably not.
hmm ok, thank you. I might just get velour and fenestrated sheepskin just to try what I like more .. (what's more bassy but less boomy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back