Pads for the Grado cans
May 22, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #16 of 25
I never tried dying mine but there is a product called retayne (sp?) that keeps dye from running.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kram Sacul
Yeah, I can just imagine after hours of listening to my 225s when all of a sudden I feel this black tar-like substance dripping into my ears. Yuck.

May 22, 2005 at 9:20 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
please ppl burn your grado in, bowls are great depends on how you ware your cans you can get different base level out of it
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Do you mean wearing them higher/lower, with ear pushed against head, ear inside bowls?

I'd be interested in how people wear these bowls and keep them on for long periods. Do most people wear them over the ear or do they push their ears in with the bowls?

May 22, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #18 of 25
actually, for those who use flat pads, the simple solution to the (dis)comfort that comes with extended wearing can easily be solved by bending out the grado headband till almost zero pressure is exerted on one's ears.

the grado headband, unlike most other headbands, retains its new shape once bent out/in.

May 22, 2005 at 10:24 AM Post #19 of 25
Hi there,

I have begun experimenting with DIY pads. Seriously, it's no rocket science to cut two concentric circles into a piece of foam. Currently I am using a bowl-shaped viscoelastic foam (the NASA stuff that adapts to body warmth) which is very comfortable and much less irritating to the ears. The sound I am getting has loads of bass and a very pronounced midrange. Too much midrange really, and just not airy enough to compete with some professional offerings. But I am getting better - the sound is easily adjustable by combining different foams, drilling additional venting holes into the pads or making spacial changes like creating bigger chambers. You guys should try DIYing your own custom Grado pads, it's fun and a cheap thrill! Just go to any local vendor who sell bits of leftover foam of all porosities and densities - look them up in your local yellow pages. Your first units may look crappy, but that improves once you move along to second and third gen designs.

Cheers, Matthias

May 22, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
How do you cut perfect circles ... or does it look really DIY?

Got set of socket wrenches?

Lay a paper towel on a smooth concrete floor, put your pad on the towel so it doesn't get dirty
Pick an appropriate size socket from your socket set, center it on the pad, hold firmly and hit the socket with a hammer.
Punches a perfect hole every time. Just remember the hole will be bigger once you stretch the pads onto your headphones.
TR

May 22, 2005 at 1:03 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Got set of socket wrenches?

Lay a paper towel on a smooth concrete floor, put your pad on the towel so it doesn't get dirty
Pick an appropriate size socket from your socket set, center it on the pad, hold firmly and hit the socket with a hammer.
Punches a perfect hole every time. Just remember the hole will be bigger once you stretch the pads onto your headphones.
TR

um, your post has nothing to do with the set of flats i placed an order for yesterday... right?
wink.gif

May 22, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
um, your post has nothing to do with the set of flats i placed an order for yesterday... right?
wink.gif

Right.
The poster I replied to was asking how to cut holes in the 414 pads.
TR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back