Pads for for akg k702
May 23, 2018 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lejaz

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone have experience with the Dekoni replacement pads for the 701 or 702? I’m wondering how they would effect the sound signature. I read somewhere that they would increase the bass. If they would reduce the treble spike a bit that would also be a plus....as well as making the mids a bit fuller. Maybe that’s too much to ask :) I’ve been using them for music production and mixing, but the mids seem kind of thin and the bass a little weak. Any feedback would be appreciated.

May 23, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 10
I have the Elite Hybrids. They do add a little bass but not much. I think they are much more comfortable than stock.

May 24, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 10
I have the Elite Hybrids. They do add a little bass but not much. I think they are much more comfortable than stock.

Thanks much for the feedback. I guess I was hoping for too much. I was listening to some classic rock and jazz last night and I realized that, for casual listening, I prefer my old k240S over the k702. They’re warmer, with a fuller midrange. Kind of odd to prefer a phone that’s 1/3 the price, perhaps, but the k702 simply doesn’t give me the enjoyment the k240 does, especially with good singers. Probably what I really want is the K712, but I can’t see buying another headphone right now, since I also have the hd580. I was hoping to make the k702 more enjoyable for casual listening, but that may be impossible. I just prefer more bass and thicker mids, and a mod probably won’t do that.

May 24, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 10
Have you tried an MP or EP version of the K240 sextett?

May 24, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 10
Have you tried an MP or EP version of the K240 sextett?

No, but I’ve wanted to for a long time. But I’ve stuck with the 240S because I can use them with my iPhone. I used to love the k240DF , but I found it too sibilant and revealing of bad recordings. Also, it is really power hungry. Since I like the k240S, I’m sure I’d like the sextet...probably even more. The main focus of my listening is vocals and some instrumental jazz, as well as jazz vocalists. The k702 turned out to be the wrong headphone for me. I’m simply not very fond of the way they portray most of my favorite singers. I’ll probably keep them for mixing though. I use them along with the hd580...the 580 to mix the low end.

May 24, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 10
The sextetts are equally as demanding(600ohms & 93db sensitivity). I wouldnt suggest most older AKGs without a good beefy amp.
The best results I have found for the sextetts are from HP jack of any of my vintage receivers. I do have the K701s (Austria) and they sound really good from my AGD R2R-11,which simply isnt enough power for the sextetts.

May 24, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks Monsterzero! I suspect my 240DF needs a more powerful amp then the O2. But I doubt I’d be happy with the 702 no matter how I amped them. I knew right away, when I first heard the hd580 that they did vocals better than the 702. Of course this is totally subjective. I’m aware that many folks love the 702/1 for vocals. It’s as subjective as our taste in food ...or beer or wine...or members of the opposite sex....I suspect :wink: Perhaps one day I’ll get to try the sextettes. As much as I like the 240S I’m sure I’d love the sextett

May 24, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 10
Your setup might play a role here.
AKG K702 works best on a slightly warm sounding setup.

Anyway, I've owned a recent (bumpless) AKG K702 along with the AKG K712.
My recent K702 with K712 pads had pretty much the exact same measured frequency response of K712.
That means, more lower midrange and bass presence for a similar but fuller and more focused sound.

Original AKG K712 pads are expensive (96 EUR/pair - Thomann)
But it's not that much if they allow you to enjoy the sound you like on your current gear.
-Still cheaper than buying a brand new AKG K712-

May 24, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks Me x3, but that price is really outrageous for a set of ear pads. Well over 100 bucks USD for ear pads? Wow....a dollar doesn't buy much in Germany anymore, that's for sure. I noticed the price of some mics made in Germany has gone way up here in the US too. I paid 135 USD for my hd580's second hand. To pay that much for pads doesn't make sense without hearing the results 1st, which I most likely can't do. For now I'm pretty happy with the hd 580, and I will just keep the 702 for mixing. If the price of those pads comes down a lot, I'd for sure like to try them though. I may try the k240M one day because buying second hand on ebay, they go for about the same price as those 712 pads...and I do like the k240 mids a lot.

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 10
Has anyone tried the perforated ori lambskin pads for the k7xx/(k702) by ZMF?

I’m trying to see whether perforated is better when it comes to these headphones soundwise. I do like how the non perforated version looks though compared to the perforated one from the site’s images.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back