Pad Rolling and Cable Upgrades for the AKG 240 Mk II
Feb 11, 2012 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Aegir

100+ Head-Fier
I see there are two types of Beyerdynamic Black velours - one for the DT 770, ad one for the DT 990/DT880.

Since both of those cans have the same cup size, why on earth does Beyerdynamic offer two different black velour pads - two different part numbers?

Is construction of either pad really that different?  I know that some pads are perforated, and others aren't.  This affects the sound characteristics as well.

Are these just different part numbers for the same pad?

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 9
The ear pads are not compatible acoustically. The DT770 is closed, while the DT880 and DT990 are open, and their respective pads are designed accordingly. The EDT770V is stiffer and isolates more. EDT990V is soft and lets more sound in and out. Swapping the pads results in the DT770 being bright and lacking bass (in addition to higher leakage), while the 880 and 990 would become bass heavy and possibly muffled in the midrange. Here is what someone who tried the swap thought about the resulting changes to the sound.

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for that response! 

I posted this question as I want to use the Beyerdynamic velour pads on my AKG 240 MKII. 

Currently, I'm using the stock AKG velour pads.  I like them,  but my ears touch the foam covering the drivers.  The Beyerdynamic pads are a bit deeper.  There are several threads about using Beyerdynamic Velour pads on the AKG 240 MK II, but most seem to be using the pads designed for the DT770.  It seems to be unanimous is that the Beyerdynamic pads solve the ear-touching-foam issue.  There are some mixed reviews about the sound quality improvements, though.  I suspect this is due to the use of the EDT 770 VB pads.

Since the AKG 240 MKII is a semi open headphone, the EDT 990 VB seems to be the logical choice.

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 9
I decided to change the title of this thread.

The AKG 240 MK II an outstanding headphone for the price.

I'd like to hear from anyone using Beyerdynamic (or other) pads on the AKG 240.  What are your impressions?

Has anyone tried DT880/DT990 pads vs the DT770 pads?  Do the DT990 pads kill the bass?  Do the DT770 pads kill the mids?

Post #8 on this thread shows some taped DT 770 pads (for use with an AKG 271)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/385655/akg-271-velour-pads-worth-it

What is the purpose of taping the holes on these pads?

Feel free to post any cable rolling impressions here as well.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Currently, I'm using the stock AKG velour pads.  I like them,  but my ears touch the foam covering the drivers.

If that is the problem you are trying to fix, the EDT770V(B) might be a better choice (I do not know how it affects the sound of the AKG, though), since it leaves more room for the ear due to being stiffer. The 880/990/T1 pads are much softer, and are "flattened" by the clamping pressure of the headband, so the drivers are more likely to touch the ears.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the feedback on that.  I will try the EDT 770 VB vs. the softer pads.

Just curious if you can you speculate on the purpose of the perforations in these Beyer pads?  One would think that this would kill the bass in a closed headphone. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 9
Got the Beyerdynamic DT770 VB pads yesterday!  The installation of the pads wasn't that difficult.  I noticed an immediate difference in the comfort.  The stock AKG velours are pretty comfortable, but with the Beyers, the opening for the ear is much larger.  My ears no longer touch the sides like they used to.  The Beyer pads are just a few millimeters taller, also.

I opted not to use the Beyer foam inserts.  I did not notice any sonic differences between the Beyer foam and the stock foam.

Here are the AKG 240 MK II with the Beyer Pads installed:

My immediate impression was a slightly wider soundstage.  The bass sounded punchier, but with slightly less impact.  This is most likely due to the holes in these pads.  The improvement in comfort is great, however, one of the things I like about these headphones is the bass, so I decided to mod the pads by covering the holes with some electrical tape.

You can see these holes with the pads installed:

The installation was super easy & only took about 10 minutes per side:

Now the bass is punchy with slightly better impact than with the stock AKG velours, & the headphones are way more comfortable!

I highly recommend this mod if you have big ears (like me) - the comfort improvement alone is worth it - even if you don't decide to do the tape mod.  The best part is, it's 100 % reversible!

I plan on saving the AKG velours for my next purchase - some Fostex T50 rp.

Next up will be some cable rolling!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back