Pa2v2 with the AKG K701s
Jun 10, 2006 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

zle83

100+ Head-Fier
If you own or used to own both the PA2v2 and the K701s let me know what you think about the combo.

Eventually I would like to get a dedicated headphone amp but aside from the slight lack of bass with the PA2v2 it sounds perfect to me.

Jun 11, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 16
I could care less.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm going to improve my source and amplification before I buy anything as good as the K-701.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 16
I actuallyhad the pleasure of listining to 701s on my source, see sig, and I was impressed. Obvisly on the higher quality sorces the sound was morerefined, butit as a nicesound out of the ipod> PA2V2> 701's

Jun 11, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #6 of 16
less than 3v into an opamp that isn't rail-rail amping a device that requires high voltage swing? not a chance

Jun 11, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
'I could care less'. Try 'I couldn't care less'. I could care less doesn't really mean anything in this situation, and if it were to mean anything, it would mean that you cared...

Thanks sport. I noticed that shortly after I posted it. Sorry I did not thoroughly proofread my work here on head-fi.

Jun 11, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 16
I would imagine something like aq Go-Vibe would be better with the higher impeadance of the 701. The Pocket Amp seems to work better with lower impedance headphones like the Grados.

Ian

Jun 11, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25
I actuallyhad the pleasure of listining to 701s on my source, see sig, and I was impressed. Obvisly on the higher quality sorces the sound was morerefined, butit as a nicesound out of the ipod> PA2V2> 701's

Honestly, I do not see how the SQ could get any better. This PA2v2 has proven to be amazing for both my E4Cs and my k701s; however, I have never owned a dedicated (non-"pocket") headphone amp.

Jun 11, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
I would imagine something like aq Go-Vibe would be better with the higher impeadance of the 701. The Pocket Amp seems to work better with lower impedance headphones like the Grados.

Ian

Actually, I am looking at the Zhaolu 2.0 DAC w/ the discrete headphone amp upgrade. Economically speaking, it seems to be the ideal setup for myself. My buddy has the Zhaolu 2.0 DAC so I will give her a trial run when I see him next.

Jun 11, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
blink.gif
I hope you're kidding. The PA2V2 is incredibly bassy.

I am not denying that the PA2v2 has good bass because it does. It is more apparent when listening via my E4Cs; however, I believe if i get a headphone amp with a bit more "juice," the bass would come through more. For example, when i plug my 701s directly in my headphone out on my old AIWA stereo, the bass is at least twice as great as the PA2v2. Needless to say, the AIWA amp does not even come close to having the clarity of the PA2v2.

Jun 11, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #13 of 16
Sorry, I mistyped impedance. (I hate bad spelling!!)

The PA only has 3v power to drive and should be able to deliver a nice current but something else really is needed to deliver voltage which is really what the 701's probably need.

I notice quite a large difference using the PA2 and Go-Vibe with Senn 650's. The PA isn't as clean as the Go-Vibe, but it works incribly well with the 32 ohm Grados.

Ian

Jun 12, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by zle83
Honestly, I do not see how the SQ could get any better. This PA2v2 has proven to be amazing for both my E4Cs and my k701s; however, I have never owned a dedicated (non-"pocket") headphone amp.

PA2v2 sounds great with the k701, but the highs are grainy and not smooth compared to more expensive portable (e.g Portaphile). You'll also get more soundstage and air. The PA2v2 is practically airless-- its like listening to music in your living room instead of an auditorium.

Also, I have a go-vibe3 and while the math ("voltage swing" blah blah) says it should sound better, it doesn't. go-vibe+k701 = zZzzZz to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back