PA2V2 vs CMoy?
Apr 28, 2006 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jesusfr3ak4evr

100+ Head-Fier
I've been wondering how the PA2V2 compares to the average CMoy? I'm considering purchasing a PA2V2 eventually for my HD 595s, and I noticed the CMoys are typically cheaper than the PA2V2.

By the way, what in your opinion(s) would you consider the best amp I could purchase for the HD 595s WITHIN REASON (I don't want to spend $300 for something that will make a possibly unnoticeable increase in quality of sound over a $100 amplifier).

Also, besides amplifier and sound card, what else could I use that would make a noticeable improvement in the sound from my HD 595s? I've seen threads about DACs (Digital to Analog Converter according to google search) and such, but I don't know much about them. I've also seen a lot of people who seem to think just changing a cable improves the sound.

Apr 29, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 12
Nobody knows anything about this topic?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 12
It can be contested that the PA2v2 is better than the CMoy in technical aspects. I've heard both amps, and liked the PA2v2 better. It depends a lot on the opamp used in the CMoy though. I didn't spend too much time with the PA2v2 so I can't say much about. (My friend brought his to school one day, but he never uses it since he has a Xin SuperMacro.) The thing to note however is that the PA2v2 can run off a power outlet. That may prove very useful to some people.

As for what starter amplifier to get, I'm inclined to say PINT since the consensus out there is that it's quite good. I've also looked at the technical details, and the design is quite nice. Unfortunately I have yet to hear the PINT, so I can't claim that it's my actual recommendation.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 12
Although it may be out of your bidget for a builder to make you one, a PINT would probably be your best bet. It has beem rumored to be better than the venerable RSA hornet.

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
Although it may be out of your bidget for a builder to make you one, a PINT would probably be your best bet. It has beem rumored to be better than the venerable RSA hornet.

Yep. A lot of people have claimed so. I'm believe it's true too from a technical aspect as well (not that great technically = sonically great
tongue.gif
). Well basically, almost any amplifier is superior to the Hornet from a technical prospective...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
The thing to note however is that the PA2v2 can run off a power outlet. That may prove very useful to some people.

It does not sound very good on AC. My PA2V2 will run my new HD650's loud
with lots of bass but its at 4/5th volume.

I'm sure it would work well with the low demand of the 595's as I used it with my 555's with good results. I've only heard the kit amps of friends and have never done AB testing.

Cant go wrong with the PA2V2 though, It's all quality.

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 12
so how much would a PINT amp cost to buy like on the FS forums? Is it possible to build it myself? I have no prior experience building amps myself, but my Dad who's 65 is pretty knowledgeable about electronics and has a pretty nice tool collection.

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesusfr3ak4evr
so how much would a PINT amp cost to buy like on the FS forums? Is it possible to build it myself? I have no prior experience building amps myself, but my Dad who's 65 is pretty knowledgeable about electronics and has a pretty nice tool collection.

I doubt it is possible for you to build it, but your father, assuming he still has good soldering ability and a steady hand might be able to pull it off.

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesusfr3ak4evr

You should be able to do it if you practice on some old junk first.
Use a high wattage iron and only touch the part for <5 seconds. if it takes
longer, just wait for it to cool and start over. Remember that the solder will
follow the heat.

Good luck.

oh, I'm talking 25~40 watts as aposed to 7~15.

Apr 30, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy
You should be able to do it if you practice on some old junk first.
Use a high wattage iron and only touch the part for <5 seconds. if it takes
longer, just wait for it to cool and start over. Remember that the solder will
follow the heat.

Good luck.

oh, I'm talking 25~40 watts as aposed to 7~15.

Would it be a good idea to try to build a CMoy first, sell it for the cost of parts, and then go on to try to build a PINT? I'm pretty confident my Dad could pull it off, but I'd like to learn how to do this stuff myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back