Pa2v2, some reactions that may help k81dj and im716 owners
Oct 17, 2006 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

benton

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there guys, I recently received my first amp, the pa2v2 from our own spaceage. I was gonestly reluctant about getting an amp because I didn't see how headphones could need amplification. Well I decided the only way to find out is to try so I went ahead and bought the PA2v2.

So I went ahead and hooked up the Pa2v2, alo, 2G ipod, and im716. I turned on Live Phish 12, Tela and the
blink.gif
began. Wait, so amps are real and these crazy people who "collect" $1,000 dollar headphones may actaully know what they are talking about! Who what have thunk it. Everything was just improved in every way. I felt like I was actaully at the concert and just rocked out at my desk for about an hour. Instruments I never knew were in the song are heard. Before the im716 felt like it was out of breath and needed a pick me up. These things really need and amp. They seem like brand new phones to me, every single thing is improved. The music is much more alive but keeps the incredible detail the im716 are known for. The bass gets a little more "there" but keeps it accuracy. I am no audiophile and don't know the technical terms for everything but I can tell you that I was wowed, and am now a beliver in these so called headphones amps. The diffrence with the im716 is pretty night and day amped versus unamped.

And now to what a lot of people have been asking, amping the k81dj. In my honest opinion it is uncessary. Maybe they're bigger diffrences with a more expensive amp but I really just did not feel like an amp purchase is justified for the k81dj. They are driven just fine out of an iPod and I did not hear night and day diffrences like I did with the im716. So, in my opinion save your money.

So I know that I don't have all the technical terms for you, but I hope that can atleast help fellow newbies like me that amps really do make the diffrence people claim. This may sound great to all of you, but I think I might have to bite of the supermicro IV soon!
frown.gif
The only gripe I have with this amp is it is decently heavy and too tall for me. It would be perfect for the regular iPod but just does not look right with a nano having the amp bigger than the source.

Oct 17, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton

I think I might have to bite of the supermicro IV soon!
frown.gif
The only gripe I have with this amp is it is decently heavy and too tall for me. It would be perfect for the regular iPod but just does not look right with a nano having the amp bigger than the source.

The SuperMini took my ER4P to another world
cool.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 9
I have the K81DJs and Shure E2Cs and just purchased a PA2V2. It sounds like I might get more out of the IEM experience than the K81DJs. Thanks for the impressions though.

Oct 17, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 9
Amps are just like headphones - different ones do different things well. It's the synergy of the whole combination that you're looking for - something that minimizes the bad, and amplifies the good.

The PA2V2 would not be my first choice for K81DJ's. There are amps that can make it better, if not a night and day difference. Sometimes, however, the quality difference depends on the potential of the headphones, not whether they're easily powered by a portable. I have a pair and they're pretty good phones, but great in only a limited category (semi-portable/closed) - not top notch all-around.

Top-of-the-line phones will absorb every amp you give them, and give you back more in return each time. It's that never ending quest ...

Oct 17, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
The SuperMini took my ER4P to another world
cool.gif

Stop talking, please. Ahhh the voices. $190 is a lot for an amp but I mean its soooo small and soooo nice. Oh God no I can't spend more ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Yeah as I said I am sure higher end amps will benefit much more but with the pa2v2 and the k81dj I didn't see a huge diffrence, but they're definatley some benefits.

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 9
hehe

I just give in to those evil voices now
evil_smiley.gif
I've never heard the k81dj but it must be very efficient for the PA2v2 to not have made a difference.

My easiest to drive can is my 55 Ohm K240S. With my Zen Vision:M they get almost loud enough with the headphone out. Using the line out into my PA2v2 kicks 'em up a good bit.

I can even hear a small improvement with my IEMs using ZV:M/line out w/ PA2v2. The warm, bassy signature of the amp is most noticable.

Oct 24, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the write up Benton, i just picked up a pair of K81DJ's a week or so ago, and was in the process of looking for an amp. I geuss ill just have to be a bit more careful, or maybe just holdout until i feel the need to upgrade :p

Oct 24, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 9
Amps do wonders for IEMs. I have to
blink.gif
when I hear people say that IEMs don't benefit from amplification as much as full sized headphones.

I have to say though, that Senns are very amp dependant. The HD545 benefits greatly from the PA2v2. I'll be posting impressions on this rig soon, probably after my two tests tomorrow, that I should be studying for at this very instant.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back