PA2V2 review
Apr 7, 2010 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ianmedium

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello folks.
I just received from Gary my PA2V2 amp and thought I would share my thoughts on it.

I use three systems, all fed by my itouch with lossless files.

First is the itouch connected with a Barqy LOD to my Stax portable system.

The second is denon C700 right in to the itouch

And now K701's connected to the PA2V2 via the barqy LOD. The K's have nearly 300 hours on them and were a gift from a friend a couple of weeks ago.

The experience of purchasing from Gary, as anyone who has will probably confirm, is one of the nicest purchasing experiences out there. Gary is excellent in communications, great advice and just an all round really decent person. I am thouroughly impressed with him..As I am with his little amp!

Very easy to set up. I placed the already charged batteries in the unit and then plugged everything in and switched on. I then proceeded to adjust the two gain controls until I got sufficent power with no distortion (a very simple thing to do!) screwed the case back on and started to listen.

One of my standard test tracks is From Shelby Lynn's fantastic dusty springfield covers album. So well recorded with plenty of space around the instruments and vocal, tight deep base and wonderful quality of playing.

Listening to the 701's via a Chord amp and CD player that my friend owns it sounds wonderful, great energy and presence.

After reading many times here that portable amps just do not have enough juice to get the full effect from the 701's I was left scratching my head at those comments as I found immediately I unplugged the headphones from the chord amp into Gary's amp and itouch I obviously did not find the same resolve or depth to the music but I have to say I did not feel like I was getting a second rate performance!

The details were still there as was the resolution and imaging. Ok not to the same scale or quality but we are talking a $60 amp here, what it was doing was quite frankly remarkable for the power it has and the price!

This little amp adds space, resolution and low level grunt. It also gives a very good showing of creating space around the vocal giving shelby the chance to emote her phrasing and delivery emotion. The amp I feel gives the 701's a little more feeling, a little more involvment in the music.

I had also demo'd a Graham slee amp at my local store, portable battery powered, same itouch and headphones and connector. To be absolutely honest the difference betwenn Garys amp and the graham slee was so minimal in my recollection to be null. And here in Canada the graham slee is around $400 bucks more!

I am sorry if folks will shake their head in disbelief but I can only report what I heard. I have no connection to Gary other than new customer. Iam not one for hyperbole as it does not serve a point.

Quite simply this amp can power to good levels a demanding headphone like the 701's so one does not have to spend a fortune if one does not want to!

I honestly thought after reading many thoughts here that I would have Garys amp for a little while then progress to something bigger and better. From what I have heard from this little amp my wallet is safe!

Here is are a couple of pictures. Thanks for reading!
PA2V22.jpg

PA2V21.jpg

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 7
Congratulations on your amp and 'cans! I enjoy my 701's a lot too. I'd only recommend you to switch your 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to a cable type, it'll put less stress into your PA2V2 output jack.

Enjoy!

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations on your amp and 'cans! I enjoy my 701's a lot too. I'd only recommend you to switch your 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to a cable type, it'll put less stress into your PA2V2 output jack.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for the great advice, I will pop out tomorrow and get one!

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 7
The PA2V2 was my first portable headphone amp, I bought it in the summer of 2005. Roll forward almost 5 years and after over 45 portable amps (still own 7 portable amps) and I bought a 2nd PA2V2 from Gary. He remains as friendly and helpful as before. Anyways received my amp and after installing a set of old rechargeable batteries I had laying around (same ones I use on the older PA2V2) I fired it up!

The first couple of hours the music had rough edges and the amp just sounded wrong (too much treble). Now w/ at least 2 hours of burn in the sound is much smother and the treble is not as pronounced. I will wait till it has at least 100 hours of burn in before I write anything else.

For the record I am using a 160 Gb iPod Classic filled w/ Apple Lossless files and an "el cheapo" $20 LOD to connect w/ the amp. Currently using a Yuin OK1 as headphones. Very happy so far!

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 7
I bought my amp from Gary in 2004. In recent years, my son used it from time to time, but the power adapter became "misplaced". I couldn't find one online and wrote to Gary to see where one could be bought.

Within hours, Gary wrote to say he would just send me one. And he did, immediately, at no charge. Wow!

I was going to say that you can't ask for more than that. Frankly, you can't even ask for that. Thanks, Gary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back