PA2V2 question: is this normal or... ?
Jan 22, 2006 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

egokun

100+ Head-Fier
I have recently bought a PA2V2 to use with my iPod 3G. Thanks to HeadFi, I learned that the iPod lineout is significantly better than the headphone out, so I also bought a Sik Ram Din to connect the iPod to the PA2V2.

Now though, I have a problem. I have tried the iPod+ram din+PA2V2 with both Shure E4c and Westone UM2. What happens is that if I set the amp volume to low, I experience horrible distortion and crackling; and I can't realistically raise the volume past this "distortion" range because I'd blow my eardrums away. The only volume range that could be comfortable for listening is completely useless because of the heavy distortion and crackling. That's very bad because the sound is indeed richer and fuller than the sound I get out of the headphone port.

So my question is, is this supposed to happen with this combo, or rather I have a defective amp?

Thanks.

Jan 22, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 9
I have the same setup, a 3G iPod, PA2V2 and the Sik Ram Din but no distortion at low volume. I am using different IEM's but I don't think that would be the problem.

Maybe you should send Gary an email as there could be a defect in your amp.

edit: I take it that the volume levels are fine when not using the ipod's line out?

Jan 22, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cazoo
edit: I take it that the volume levels are fine when not using the ipod's line out?

Good point. I wasn't too sure about this because after the problem emerged, I haven't used the amp for a while. I tried it again yesterday after, dunno, at least two months of inactivity.

Now that I've tried, you're actually right, distortion is only present when using the line out. Now, two new possibilities arise:

1) a fault in the ram din. I hope this isn't the case because I spent a load of money to get the item from England to Italy, and the site I bought it from closed soon thereafter
tongue.gif
Having to get another wouldn't be nice.

2) a fault in the iPod line out. This MAY be the cause as I have actually replaced the original battery; still, I'm absolutely sure that I followed the instructions closely when replacing the battery, paying attention to the integrity of the line out port, and as you can imagine, I've had no trouble in recharging the iPod since.

Figures.

Jan 22, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 9
When I first got my PA2V2 I was unable to get to the shops to get myself some nice rechargeable batteries and just put some normal non-rechargeables in there... and I heard this fuzzy distorting noise at low volume levels too. I emailed Gary saying how much I liked it and how I would be getting some rechargeables when I could and he replied saying that it'll work better then as any distortion at low volumes that I might hear (I'd not even mentioned that in the email) comes from using non-rechargeables.

Picked up the rechargeables and it's working fine now. No low level noise or anything, just working as would be expected to.

Jan 22, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Are you using 1.2V AA's?

The PA2V2 will do that if you use 1.5Volt cells.

Aha! This is something I'll have to try. Thanks a bunch.

(Still, I don't understand while the problem only happens with iPod line out)

Jan 22, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 9
Yup, lots of crackling with 1.5 v batteries. Use 1.2v nimh. Also, try changing the interconnect to something a little better. The supplied cable might be crappy. Finally, after making these changes, wait a few days and see if it goes away.

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 9
I have the same set up, and the same problem, I must say however that I did use standard AA batteries that are 1.5 V, so seeing this thread gives me home. Im also kicking myself for not gettinging one of those nice ipod out interconnects, as the cable is nicer, and its much, much more tidier.

Its also pretty obvious that its not the sik din causing the distortion, as when i plug my headphones it sounds allright, just unamped is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back