PA2v2 -> Practical Devices XM4: Audible Upgrade?
Feb 22, 2007 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Zabuza

Head-Fier
I own the following three headphones/buds:

Koss KSC-75
Senn CX-300
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80ohm

While I can't describe exactly what difference the PA2v2 makes, there is a discernable improvement in sound with it activated. I am satisfied using it with the portable 'phones, but I'm looking for something that will really push the DT-770.

I made a thread when I received my Beyers expressing my disappointment with the bass; from the feedback I had read, these were supposed to provide excellent performance in that regard, but the impact and punch just wasn't what I had expected. Will the XM4 provide me the brain-pulverizing bass I want without removing the tightness or adding mud to the sound?

I should note that my most-used source is my laptop's onboard audio, which is enough to detract from the listening experience regardless of the amp I use. I'm looking into a portable mp3 device, perhaps a Zen or a Zune... anything that sounds good.

Anyhow, thanks for reading, and I appreciate any input.

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zabuza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Koss KSC-75
Senn CX-300

While I can't describe exactly what difference the PA2v2 makes, there is a discernable improvement in sound with it activated. I am satisfied using it with the portable 'phones, but I'm looking for something that will really push the DT-770.

I made a thread when I received my Beyers expressing my disappointment with the bass; from the feedback I had read, these were supposed to provide excellent performance in that regard, but the impact and punch just wasn't what I had expected. Will the XM4 provide me the brain-pulverizing bass I want without removing the tightness or adding mud to the sound?

I should note that my most-used source is my laptop's onboard audio, which is enough to detract from the listening experience regardless of the amp I use. I'm looking into a portable mp3 device, perhaps a Zen or a Zune... anything that sounds good.

When the XM3/XM4 came out they were a nice improvement over the PA2V2 (at twice the price). Now there are other amps in the market which cost in between the PA2V2 and the XM4 which sound better (IMO). I am thinking of the C&C and the Go-Vibe.

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 12
I really like what I've been reading about the C&C. I want one now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryminator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly recommend the XM4. Very good amplifier. The bass boost is really good with no distortion and the crossfeed is nice.

I read in the HD595 thread that the AD823 Op amp makes a great synergy when put in the XM4 with the HD595s. I'm in the UK- is it easy to purchase the AD823 op amp. How fiddly is it to put it in the XM4?

I think having read lots of info I am leaning to getting the XM4 to go with my HD595s

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zabuza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Koss KSC-75
Senn CX-300

If you leave in the lousy opa2134 opa amp in the xm4 it sounds ok the hey to any of these amps is matching of your headphones to the opamp that you prefer do you want punch muddiness artificial sound like that CC thing one of the powers of portable amps is the ability to roll amps replace the op amos if you have one that you cannot then you are just satisfied with the norm which is fine but if you are like me you want the best posstible sound.

The Xm4 excels with the AD8620 as well as the AD823an
the new LM4562 and even a opa2228 would sound really good with your DT's the 2228 has a huge amount of bass the the Xm4 has bass boost which helps on some headphones that are just weak with bass I judge bass by not having to touch a treble or bass adjustment I usually never adjust any eq setting etc if I was you grab a few Op amps and try them the xm4 is really great as it can go up to 23db of boost so the question is do you want to be stuck with one sound with the C C and go vibe or have the ability totally change your amps sound??
Easy solution

Godspeed

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 12
Zabuza, this is the amp path I plan on taking soon. I currently have about $65 saved up over the last couple months. Just a few weeks more and I'll have enough money to buy the XM4. Although I won't be able to do side by side comparisons (as I'm going to need to sell my PA2V2) I will give my impressions if you'd like to hear them, if you still haven't bought a new amp by then.

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 12
flamerz, I'd appreciate that! I'm in no rush to buy an amp, since I've been squandering money of late and should start saving. I've considered just going for an RS-71 or Hornet and worrying later about a better source, but it'll be a little while before I spoil myself with another "big" purchase, so in the meantime I'll continue to read user feedback here.

Mar 4, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 12
Sorry Zabuza, but I've changed my mind. I was stuck on the XM4 for a long time now, but I've decided to get the T&D Dreamwork X-1 instead, after considering reviews over and over again. From what I've read, the X-1 and XM4 are very similar, both slightly excelling over the other in different areas. I believe the XM4 would be a better candidate for me, for the bass and soundstaging, but the main justifying factors for my ultimate decision were the size and price of the X-1. At $30-40 cheaper, that's about half the price I'd have to pay after selling my PA2V2. Size is very important for me, too.

Again, I'm sorry, but I still may purchase the XM4 in the (far) future, if you still haven't bought it by then.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back