PA2V2 Portable Amp, comments?
Jul 17, 2011 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

koolkat

1000+ Head-Fier
I understand that these amps are hand-made by a Gary Ali and I've been to his site.
Apparently best way to contact him is through e-mail but I don't want to waste his time with
some questions that might seem trivial..

1. So first of all, are they still being produced?

I'm using a Sennheiser HD438 and I've got three sources, my Acer laptop, my motorola defy
android phone and my PSP. I've read up on headphones and it seems the higher the headphones,
the harder it is to drive it. The impendance on my HD438s aren't high, but I'm not getting the sound
I want.

Music volume when plugged into my PSP feels too low to be of use in outdoor environments.
When I connect my cans to my phone, I can't help but notice a lot of details are lost during playback
(when compared to playing music from my laptop),

This ^ brings us to my next few questions..

1. Will getting an amp boost the music volume on my PSP/phone/laptop without distorting the sound quality?
  2. Will getting a P2V2 amp boost the music volume on my PSP/phone/laptop without distorting the sound quality?
  3. Will connecting an amp boost the sound quality of my PSP/phone/laptop (bass, treble, etc) ?
  4. Are the P2V2 amps a good amp for their price? How long would an amp of that price range last?
  5. Is it advisable to buy second hand portable amps?

Answers would be really appreciated. I know there are a lot of threads regarding P2V2 amps but I couldn't find the info I needed
in the other threads. Sennheiser HD438s are my first headphones that aren't stock, and I'm extremely new to these things, so the more info the better :)

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #3 of 7
Hehe just got my PA2V2 amp a few weeks ago... The ans to your Qn (IMO),
1.Yes an amp should boost the music volume. This can be good for hard to drive headphones. Usually good amps won't distort the sound quality, however it will change the sound signature depending on which amp you choose. Some amps may have a 'hiss' at higher volumes..
2. Yes it shouldnt distort.
3. As said earlier, it depends on the sound signature. Some amps have functions such as high/low gain etc.. while this may boost bass/treble, it can also cause the other parts to be muddy. It really depends on your preferance.
4. IMHO, It's really good for the price especially when it comes with lifetime warranty and one of the best customer services on the market.
5 Second hand goods are cheaper and can have the advantage of being burned in. However the warranty can be expired. It depends, you have to research and weigh the disadvantages and advantages
First post for me :D

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #5 of 7
I just asked him earlier :)
Does the PA2V2 make any hissing sound? I think I read somewhere if the PA2V2 makes hissing noises, just put in some batteries
as they act like noise filters.

Also, can't help but notice, you're from Singapore.
How much did it cost you, and how long did it take for the product to arrive?
I'm from Singapore too, and I'm a little scared that the immigrations will tamper with the PA2V2 because they think it's a bomb
or something.

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 7
Haha really? Nice to meet a fellow singaporean :D Uh.. that is a common problem when you use alkaine AA batteries with pa2v2 as the circuit is designed for lower voltage (1.2v) rechargable batteries. Im not sure if the amp comes with rechargable batteries... Haha My friends also said it looks like a bomb but i dont think there will be any customs trouble... I bought the amp from a fellow audiophile for 65 :D He said it took only 10 days for it to arrive. Btw.. Gary will mark the value of the amp <$10 to avoid customs charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back