PA2V2 or iBasso T1 or Minibox-D + Do I Really Need an Amp?
Jun 1, 2007 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dap_pad

500+ Head-Fier
Well i have an iAudio A2 30GB and Koss KSC-75, JVC Marshmallows and a pair of Shure e2cs. Will my equipment benefit from an amp?
etysmile.gif

And if i really do need an amp, i was considering the PA2V2 or iBasso T1 or Minibox-D, how do they compare to each other? They're all around the same price but i can get the PA2V2 easier i think, since i live in Toronto and should be able to arrange a direct exchange?
confused.gif
blink.gif

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!!! HEAD-FI IS AWESOME

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 10
I have both the PA2V2 and the MiniBox-D (both have been replaced by MiniBox-E).

Very subjective question. My Future Sonics Atrio M5's sound really good out of my 5G 80gig iPod with the eq turned off. The amp(s) do increase the "puch" to a point, but enough to lose some protability? I am coming to the conclusion that a small amp is great for travelling (hotel, ertc), but for daily carrying, the iPod with good IEM's works for me.

I got the MiniBox-D easily from Headdirect.

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see... then how do you compare the MiniBox-D to the PA2V2? Are they both equal or is one better?

I personally find the MiniBox-D to have a slightly cleaner overall sound, and a little more punch. They are both small, but the MiniBox-D is really thin.

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 10
Ok... i got the PA2V2... at first i was just going to ask about it but Gary's service was too tempting and he discounted the price to $50 CAD (because i was a high school student LOL), so i couldn't resist. Hopefully, I made the right choice!

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 10
Congrats! The pa2v2 is a good way to start into the world of head-fi. You will find it to be a fun beginner's amp. It plays loud enough to break your eardrums without distortion, and you will get boomier bass - but don't expect it to perform miracles. There will be hiss and adjusting volume at low levels is kinda wonky. For casual listening purposes though, you can't get better at that price range.

I ended up not using it in my portable setup after a while because of its squarish dimensions, which is fatter yet shorter than most DAPs so it looks kinda funky when paired with my old ipod. It eventually became my office fixture.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 10
Congratulation on your purchase. The PA2V2 was my first amp too! It will add a bit of punch and bass to your music. Also it works well with the Koss 60 ohms drivers. The only problem is that you get channel imbalance at low levels, but that is only a problem if you have very sensitive headphones (or ears).
Since then I upgraded to a C&C V2 (which sounds better but cost double the price) but I am still using the PA2V2 at work. the battery life is so Good I rarely needsq to bring it back home for charging.

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #9 of 10
No, you will not benefit IMO.
I have a Cowon A2 myself and even the LaRocco PRII did nothing to the sound of the A2.
In fact amping the A2 makes the sound worse.
I find the A2 to be nice sounding out of the box. It is not the most neutral DAP but nice nevertheless.
Keep the money and think about improving the headphones!

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Ya... seems that way. The A2 doesn't especially benefit from the PA2V2 but its a nice sounding source nonetheless. Hopefully, i'll be able to use the PA2V2 on future sources and headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back