PA2v2 burn in time??
May 30, 2006 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aluren

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently got the PA2v2 and was wondering how much time it will take before it gets fully burn-in. I keep reading that the hornet takes 300 hours for us to truly realize its potentials, but I've never read anywhere about the PA2v2 and its leading me to believe that burn-in would not really have a significant effect on the pocket amp's sound. Anybody has any idea?

I also got a cotton dock from ALO and since its pure silver wires, how long do those wires take to burn in and settle?

May 30, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 8
I owned a PA2V2 and did not notice any change in the sound. The only difference is that the scratchiness of the volume knob went away after a few days of use.

May 30, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 8
The scratchiness does go with time. (or lessens) It's more obvious when you first switch on.

Never noticed any changes/burn in myself.

The PA2 is absolutely brilliant with Grado headphones.
biggrin.gif

Ian

Jun 6, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 8
how long have you been using them? i kinda wanted to find out if i will see more of an improvement with time...

Jun 6, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
I recently got the PA2v2 and was wondering how much time it will take before it gets fully burn-in. I keep reading that the hornet takes 300 hours for us to truly realize its potentials, but I've never read anywhere about the PA2v2 and its leading me to believe that burn-in would not really have a significant effect on the pocket amp's sound. Anybody has any idea?

I also got a cotton dock from ALO and since its pure silver wires, how long do those wires take to burn in and settle?

Burn-in isn't exactly an uncontroversial subject, and I've yet to see any sort of real explanation of what it is people think is actually changing. Considering the circuit design on the PA2v2, I'm really not sure what it would be that people would expect to 'burn in' on this amp, either. The caps don't need time for the charge barrier to form, and those components are not spec'd to drift that much in their performance over time (if drifting in any measureable sense, at all).

What *will* probably happen is psycholigical acclimation to the sound, which may end up making it 'sound' better over time, to the owner at least.

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 8
I think I asked Gary about burn-in and (I'm not 100% sure-but) he stated that there really is no burn-in time aside from the first second or less that power first surges through the circuits.

I've not noticed any change in the sound of my PA2v2 and as a couple members have noted, the volume scratchiness should lessen over time. I still sometimes get a little bit for a very short period of time after I first power it up.

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 8
thanks for the info, Filburt and GreatDane. I appreciate it. One note i wanted to mention about the PA2v2 is that I spoke with Gary about lowering the gain on my amp since i'm using IEM's... he said he would build a new amp with a lower resistor and would send me the brand new amp and i'll return the original amp to him, which was still pretty brand new. i got the new amp yesterday and i loved it. for the original amp, i had to turn the knob very gently or else it'll be too loud. 2 o'clock is the position of the knob i normally listen at. or should i say i have to? because anything before 2 o'clock, i would either not hear anything or the sound would not be balanced (music playing only on one side and not the other). the new amp eliminated all those problems. now when i listen to music, i can smile like this
eggosmile.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 8
You're welcome aluren. I use mine with my IEMs 95% of the time and I've never thought that the gain should be lowered, it never really bothered me.

I use the headphone out on my DAP, not the line out(so that I can EQ) so I have the option of setting the volume on my DAP lower which helps the "too much gain" situation. I set my ZV:M at 20~22/25.

...Gary is da man
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back