PA2v2 and LDM+
Oct 26, 2006 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

toastmaster

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, it's a head to head competition to see which one I end up keeping. It's not a huge deal since I find them sonically similar and I can just buy the one I sell at some point in the future, but for now the wallet dictates that one must go.

A little bit of what I've found so far.

LDM+
-overall clearer and cleaner than PA2v2
-bass is tighter
-mids are great
-highs are clear and well-defined
-positioning and soundstage are great
-built like a tank
-lower gain means easier to use with IEMs
-batteries last forever

PA2v2
-a little less clear than LDM+ but warmer and a little more musical
-bass is warmer
-mids are great too
-highs are a little less defined than LDM+
-positioning and soundstage not as good, but more musical and fluid
-not quite as tank-like for portable use
-higher gain means harder to use IEMs
-batteries last forever

So, I need to decide which one to keep! Please post your impressions and vote in the poll.

Edit: forgot to add that I much prefer the size of the LDM+

Oct 26, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 17
Good point, although the difference in gain is about 1 hour between the two amps. Like, if the LDM+ is at 12, the PA2v2 is at 1 o'clock. Not a huge difference, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 17
Well it seems that from your own points listed you seem to prefer the LDM+ over the PA2v2
biggrin.gif
If you dont mod either amp, i geuss stick with the LDM+ which i feel you prefer
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #6 of 17
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to go with the LDM+. What mods do you speak of WatMACHI?

Oct 27, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 17
I dont know of any specific mods being reasonably new to the Audio community, but i think its Andrea with an ultra modded GV5
biggrin.gif
(But i geuss he knows more about the internals of an AMP). When i said mods, i geuss i just meant altering the AMPs in any way that would change its character.

On another note, im glad u chose the LDM+ over the PA2v2, as im currently grabbing a second hand one from Firevortex
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 17
The PA2V2 is a much more friendly amp in the sense that if you have audio from varying sources there will be a far less chance you'll get any sort of harshness because of the PA's warm nature. It may be warm but it really isn't all that much less detailed than my Zero Audiocraft. Its a really punchy amp whereas my Audiocraft is a bit more laid back(not a bad thing..)and so for bringing out life in music that needs a boost its a really good choice.

I use E2C's with my PA2V2 and it works just fine with it. I hear very little hiss with it and when the music starts it disappears completely. As McBob said if gain is an issue then Gary wouldn't mind it all to take it back and adjust it for your needs. Better yet,talk with him beforehand about your applications and he'll adjust the gain ahead of time to a good level for your cans.

His customer support is really second to none and is a really kind person. I'd recommend his product to anyone not to mention his service is really stellar.

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 17
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I decided to go with the LDM+ because I tend to favour warm headphones and figure that I should stick with a 'wire-with-gain' style amp and let the headphones add the warmth.

That said, I'll probably still recommend the PA2v2 to low budget friends, and it wouldn't surprise me if I picked one up again in the future.

Oct 27, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 17
I enjoyed the SR-325i + PA2v2 combo, but I haven't bothered with the Grados and a portable amp since I got a desktop amp.

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #12 of 17
To add another advantage of the LDM+, the insanely bright LED lets it double as a small flashlight. It actually came in handy tonight.

Oct 30, 2006 at 11:02 AM Post #14 of 17
LOL
tongue.gif

Thumbs up for the LDM+ here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back