PA2V2 a good start?
Feb 13, 2006 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mokpie

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for my first headphone amp, something that I could use on the road and at home. I've been thinking about getting a PA2V2. I would use it with any of my cans: HD 497, KSC 75, EX-51s and others. And it would either be with my iPod mini or from my computer (AV-710)

Do you guys think that it will be sufficient for my needs?

I'm looking for something budget safe and easy to obtain in Canada. Thanks

Feb 13, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 14
The PA2V2 is a very good deal for its low price (and is a good amp in absolute terms, also); it is compact, ships from Canada and has very long battery life. I would definitely recommend it!

Feb 13, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 14
My first amp before I moved to DYI. Excellent little amp, although a bit boomy for my taste. Best bang for the buck.

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 14
Well yeah it's a good start. Came to a point where i can't listen to music without it on any of my (crappy) sources
rolleyes.gif

You'll love it! You'll even like the scratchy sound that it makes when you touch the volume before the unit warms up. Never knew a scratchy sound can sound so pleasant
tongue.gif

EDIT: the dude who makes the amp is also from Canada so you're going to get it like, instantly.

Feb 13, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 14
You might also want to check out the XM3 by Practical Devices.. It's made in Toronto and has alot more features, and a better casing. I'm not really sure how is sounds, but I ordered one for myself and will do a review once it arrives.

Oh and Xenos amps are made in Canada as well. the 3HA looks pretty good, a bit big though, but it have bass and treble control.

Both are worth looking into IMO.

Good luck.

Feb 13, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 14
Generally yes its a great start.

Couple things that prompted me to move on from the PA2V2 to the govibe:
Slight bass exageration
channel imbalance with low volumes
Slightly compressed soundstage
non socketed OP amp

I wouldn't say its flawed, more a matter of preference on these items.

IMHO a govibe is a better start, and a mint even better, for about the same price. surf the F/S forum for a used one.

Garrett

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Slight bass exageration
channel imbalance with low volumes
Slightly compressed soundstage
non socketed OP amp

All of this is true, except for maybe the bass which is all taste (+2 points for rhyme :X). In addition, who doesn't love that super loud scratching sound when you move the volume pot really quickly - not like you should be doing it anyhow, but it's painful at times when it's done on accident. I have heard there is no scratchy sound when using alkaline batteries (correct me if I'm wrong or add on), but nonetheless it's a great intro amp.

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwiclx
All of this is true, except for maybe the bass which is all taste (+2 points for rhyme :X). In addition, who doesn't love that super loud scratching sound when you move the volume pot really quickly - not like you should be doing it anyhow, but it's painful at times when it's done on accident. I have heard there is no scratchy sound when using alkaline batteries (correct me if I'm wrong or add on), but nonetheless it's a great intro amp.

My volume knob made that scratching noise when I first used the amp but after a few minutes it went away and hasn't come back since. There is no noise when I turn it anymore.

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 14
Actually not every PA2V2 makes scratching sound although there are number of owners reported to have that sound. Mine never made that scratching sound. Some also reported that scratching sound disappears with the use of rechargeable batteries which I am using it. It is a great portable little amp on the go like iPod and other MP3 players.

Feb 13, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 14
I'd reccomend it. I am pretty happy with mine. It's very portable, sounds pretty good, has a built in recharging circuit and it's reasonably priced. I got mine on Thursday when I ordered Monday morning... You can't beat that in my oppinion.

I'm sure it'll get you started and you'll probably get the update urge as time goes on and you get better gear.

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #11 of 14
Ill always have praise for this amp. Gary is an INCREDIBLY nice guy to deal with, and will answer any questions you may have (even if you bug him incessantly and email probably 5 times asking questions before you have even decided to buy the amp or not) very quickly and thoroughly. The amp is also shipped off after payment quickly, and just generally a really good buying experience. The amp comes with rechargeable batteries, and these can charge within the unit, so you never have to take them out. Plus, on a full charge, this thing runs forever, and I mean forever. I think the amp is a little boomy on the bass (of course, for my taste and this is probably exaggerated by the fact I have the UM1's which are already known as pretty bassy in and of themselves) but playing with the treble a little it evens it all out and definately helps produce a bigger sound than without the amp.
In my limited opinion, its hard to find a better deal for the money. Also very small and great for travel.

PS Ive had none of the hissing/scratching at all from the volume knob others have spoken of.

Feb 14, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #12 of 14
You don't get the hissing from the knob the first 30sec after you turn the amp on? Strange.
Anyhow it's not the distortion ppl report with non-rechargables. More of a "wooshy" sound but then it fades away after the unit warmed up..

Feb 16, 2006 at 11:33 AM Post #13 of 14
Sorry for the double post but i figured out where's the hissing coming from. I replaced to a fully charged battery and the amp is dead silent now. So i guess if you start hearing some hiss from the volume knob it's time to recharge yer batts
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #14 of 14
has anyone tried this amp with the ety er4p? purchasing a pair of er4p soon and want to have an upgrade over my cmoy (which incidentally has the L and R channels reversed...)

was thinking of the AE1 / Hornet but those cost big bucks..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back