PA2V2- $60 shipped
Jun 18, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
I never thought that I would want a portable amp, but this price is tempting. I am curious to how the sound would improve with my M3.
rolleyes.gif
I guess this is how it starts for all head-fiers.
280smile.gif

You really should get one. Of course there are great portable amps that offer better sound than the PA2V2, but at much higher cost. There's nothing close to this super low price point that's built as well or sounds as good.

It sounds very nice with my iPod (line out/not headphone out), LineoutDockSilver or SikDin+ZuPivot and PXC300, and is the best intro you'll find without strangling your wallet. (I'm just burning in a new one, so I can't comment on whether or not extended burn in will improve the sound.)

Jun 18, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold
Another positive aspect: battery life! Like it is powered by a micro nuclear plant, several hundreds of hours in between charges. There are smaller amps for sure but this one feels like the perfect compromise for me considering the battery life time I need to make it work in the long run. Two rechargable AA cells, utilized to the maximum. What a beautiful design! The only thing I think Gary possibly could improve on is to include two good NiMH rechargables to keep people from feeding it by alkalines (very poor results if you use alkalines).

you're not the only one. i asked him after i got the amp. he answered me with this:

The only thing the amplifier does not include is the two AA
rechargeable batteries. I have always wanted to include the
batteries charged and loaded in the amp, this way when a person
received their amp they could just turn it on and it would be
ready to go.

What makes including the batteries a disadvantage has to do
with the post office's weight limits. The limit for the first
category of the Airmail shipping service is at 250 grams. The
extra cost of going into the next higher category if batteries
are included is almost as much as the batteries themselves.
Because of this, it is probably cheaper to get a pair of
batteries in your area.

Jun 20, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by lollavid
For those looking for a portable headphone amp that's pretty well-received by this community here, Gary sells his PA2V2s for $60, shipping included. After having read so many good things on this forum, I finally decided to bid on one (on Ebay they normally go for $70-$80 + another $5- shipping) but I read somwhere you can get them directly for $60- and it's true! He just emailed me back and indeed offers them for that price.

Anyways, I just wanted to give a general heads-up to anyone interested. Gary seems like a really nice, professional guy and I can't wait to get my little amp! Oh and by the way, this is the LAST thing I'm buying! lol...

His email address: gary@electric-avenues.com

His items on Ebay: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgrans-arQQhtZ-1

Oops. I replied to the wrong post.

Jun 21, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #34 of 46
Gary is a class act..There is no seller out their like him..He's Ebays hidden treasure..He deserves every penny he gets..He told me he sells 100 a month for around 60.00..Thats great..I wish him the best, & hope he makes a huge profit, & becomes very wealthy..

Jun 30, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #35 of 46
u guys are tempting me to buy the very first amp of my life... just emailed Gary... hope to get a reply soon...

I cannot access Gary's website fm China... wonder if it is blocked by the Chinese govt... maybe Gary is anti-commi.... ;p

Jul 4, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by bochup
u guys are tempting me to buy the very first amp of my life... just emailed Gary... hope to get a reply soon...

I cannot access Gary's website fm China... wonder if it is blocked by the Chinese govt... maybe Gary is anti-commi.... ;p

I've also been thinking about picking up one of Gary's amps. I emailed him the other day and had a response within a couple hours. From our couple emails I am serisously tempted to send him some of my hard earned $

Jul 4, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #37 of 46
I have a PA2V2 with a gain of 2.5 on the way this week. I can't agree more that Gary is great to deal with. He is very responsive and answered all my questions within a few hours.

Jul 4, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #38 of 46
Have had mine for a while now and use it with Grado SR80's and am so impressed with it will be ordering a second one probably next month.
Sources used have varied from cheapo wallmart DAP to a Freecom 80G media player. Another bonus is if your mains supply is 220/240V he will supply it without the charger.
Interconect used here is Cardas HPI mini - another good buy which works well with it.

Just remember don't listen to a DVD (Top Gun) through it with Grado's especially if you crank up the volume - Those jets taking off will really wake you up.
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #39 of 46
Sorry for hijacking a little...

You guys are really convincing me. Do you think this amp would be a substantial addition to my ipod->MS2i rig? I don't want to spend a lot, but would like to see fairly big SQ increases. Would you recommend the PA2V2 or another portable amp?

Jul 6, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2
hey, I read somewhere that Gary got some not so hot mini to mini cables that he included with the amps... how are the current ones he's got? anyone know?

Decent..But the Cardas are more up & personal IMO..Seems to widen things up a bit too..Just like my Cardas 650 cables..

Jul 6, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #42 of 46
My Xin SuperMacro IV is taking toooooooo long, and I'm tempted to give the PA2V2 a shot. Do you guys think it'll be worth it, or should I just be a little more patient? My MS2i is waiting to be driven properly.
frown.gif

Jul 6, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by aufeuer
My Xin SuperMacro IV is taking toooooooo long, and I'm tempted to give the PA2V2 a shot. Do you guys think it'll be worth it, or should I just be a little more patient? My MS2i is waiting to be driven properly.
frown.gif

Be patient.

Aug 20, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by lollavid
Gary seems like a really nice, professional guy and I can't wait to get my little amp!

Just wanted to chime in and say Gary was a pleasure to deal with. He seems like a very nice person.

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #45 of 46
+1 on Gary - very nice to deal with, and must be awake 24/7! He sorted out 3 PA2V2's for me, sent 'em to Tokyo, and they arrived w/out incident. All arranged within a day, and shipping took 7 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back