P.I.D. (AP Exams)
May 9, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #16 of 30
I have my Series 7 commin up... that should be good times... only doing it because my school offers a class and the test, so I figured why not.

but on a side note, good luck on your AP tests. hopefully you find yourself a school that doesnt require 5's on all of them to count like mine.

oh yah and calc 4 sucks a whole lot.

May 9, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrawn86
and the thing that sucks is that even with physics B , you still won't get credit for engineering physics. Its easier in college anyway.

They have a Physics BC series which is the equivalent of University Physics and is much more worthwhile to take. I passed out of BC mechanics and EM but I still took the EM class for the fun of it.

May 9, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #19 of 30
What kind of crazy %&*# do you have to be to take E&M for the fun of it?

Jeez, take like.. intro to music or intro to soc (that's what I did) instead.

BTW, I'm at NU. Illinois represent!

May 9, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by falkon72
What kind of crazy %&*# do you have to be to take E&M for the fun of it?

Jeez, take like.. intro to music or intro to soc (that's what I did) instead.

BTW, I'm at NU. Illinois represent!

This is what I'm doing my graduate work on so I guess I'm a little touched in the head.

May 9, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #21 of 30
School physics was fun. In college it's all about math. I found the multiple choice on the physics APs to be tough because you only had about 1-2 minutes time per question and you needed to understand the English of it first
biggrin.gif

Americans are really fond of multiple choice tests, aren't they?

I forgot, good luck on the exams of course (although it's probably over by now)!

May 9, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #22 of 30
oh man? physics with multipile choice?

University physics is all about a big word problem, like 3 of them. You work out the relationships on your own, since you will be familiar with a derivation (or have it memorized if not). No such thing as multi choice, and if your lucky you can bring a formula sheet. My prof now gives us one, and really sucks. Thankfully the class is pretty easy and people aren't doing so well in general.

Do you guys havew to do any calculus or linear algebra at all? Just wondering?
I know in highschool they usualyl won't offer a multivariate calculus course, but what do they do nowadays?

May 9, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
I have my Series 7 commin up... that should be good times...

There's no need to sweat that test. Most bankers spend only a weekend preparing. But what good is taking the test if you don't work for for a broker/dealer and won't be a registered representative as a result?

May 9, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
There's no need to sweat that test. Most bankers spend only a weekend preparing. But what good is taking the test if you don't work for for a broker/dealer and won't be a registered representative as a result?

i actaually knew someone who took it 3 times.

May 9, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
oh man? physics with multipile choice?

And it's worth 50% of the AP score.
Quote:

Do you guys havew to do any calculus or linear algebra at all? Just wondering?
I know in highschool they usualyl won't offer a multivariate calculus course, but what do they do nowadays?

I think the structure is Algebra 2, then Precalculus, which consists of trigonometry, basic linear algebra, basic use of a matrix, and some "pre-calculus", then AB Calculus (derivation and integration) and BC calculus (partial integration and differentiation). The next level is Seminary for Advanced Math (SAM) but I don't know what's taught there.
Perhaps it was just my school but apparently math in the US is very focused on calculus alone. In Germany, calculus, linear algreba and probability calculus each make up 33% of the curriculum in the final two years of high school. Not sure which system works better but I tend to think that calculus should be given more weight over here considering the little need for probability calculus at college level. Linear algebra was also chewed to death because there are only so many topics that can be covered at school.

May 10, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski

I just want to keep the door open on as many possibilities as I can for after I graduate next year. Brokerage would be nice as I could potentially work on my own and not have to sit in a cube all day.

Thats what I have done the past two summers and it has not been fun. I interned with Pfizer and worked in databases and such for 10hrs a day, not my exact idea of an enjoyable time.

May 10, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrawn86
and the thing that sucks is that even with physics B , you still won't get credit for engineering physics. Its easier in college anyway.

Agreed, my university gave me 8 credit hours for my phyics scores but they were "general" phyics courses. I still have to take 2 engineering physics courses. I really do wish that my high school would have offered a class geared towards the physics C or BC exam, whichever one is calculus based. The class I took did nothing to prepare you for the calc based physics exam.

Good job man! I'm sure you did well. Most everyone in my class got a 4 or 5 with nobody getting below a 3. Way to go
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
The hardest kind of Physics really isn't Physics...

It's Physical Chemistry.

Heh,

tell that to guys taking special relativity, thermo, optics etc...

May 10, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
Agreed, my university gave me 8 credit hours for my phyics scores but they were "general" phyics courses. I still have to take 2 engineering physics courses. I really do wish that my high school would have offered a class geared towards the physics C or BC exam, whichever one is calculus based. The class I took did nothing to prepare you for the calc based physics exam.

Good job man! I'm sure you did well. Most everyone in my class got a 4 or 5 with nobody getting below a 3. Way to go
biggrin.gif

My school did not either. Strange though, it offered the equivalent of a complete College Physics course and there were even topics on thermo and relativity. I just taught myself what I needed to know to do the Physics BC. If you've taken calculus then it is not impossible to learn it on your own since the concepts are the same but the method of deriving the answers is just different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back