P-51 Mustang vs. Shadow
Jan 16, 2010 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lewis.dn

New Head-Fier
I've just received my JH13s and they are amazing. Looking into either the P-51 or the Shadow for an amp unless i can be convinced otherwise.
Just bought the ALO 18awg OCC Triple Pipe.
Do i need a DAC?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
D.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 9
DAC is used to bypass your sound card on your computer if you're using the computer as the music source.

If your using an amp with a portable source player you don't need a DAC.

Is for the Amp question. I own the Shadow and love it. After burn-in (+200 hours) it has only got better. Prior to the Shadow I did listen to the Mustang & thought it was amazing but decided to wait for the Shadow to come out. I think the Shadow is slightly more transparent with a touch more soundstage. Either amp you get, you won't be disappointed. The major difference is that the Shadow is a little smaller and has the digital volume. This is the first amp I've used with a digital volume and now I prefer the digital volume.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 9
Shadow is just more "neutral" than Mustang.
Mustang is more dynamic.
But 2 are really great amps.
i prefer shadow for in ears headphones and Mustang for portable headphone.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 9
My advice to you would be to read the Mustang and Shadow appreciation threads. Especially the latter as a few people have asked the same question as you and have gotten a few answers back from people who have heard both and compared. Either way, reading the two appreciation threads will give you a better idea of the pros and cons of each amp.

Just to re-iterate what 4sound has already said, no, you don't need a DAC unless you are listening from you PC/Laptop.

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 9
You really can't go wrong with either. The Shadow is a great little amp and pairs great with the JH13's. The digital volume control does not get changed unless you change it, it runs over 60 hours on a charge, more like 70 and has a size that complements the 13's. It has a slight bit more detail compared to the Mustang but the jump factor and musicality of both is exciting. Also the quality will never let you down.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 9
What do you mean by the comment that the shadow digital volume control does not change unless you change it? My shadow always reverts to 0 when I turn it on and I have to always crank it up - it does not stay where I leave it.

Chris

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 9
x2 cgiammona. ???

x2 4sound.

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really can't go wrong with either.

I could not agree with this more. I have used mine interchangeably for months now and only do so because they are hooked up to different DAPs. But with the JH13s as a constant, I tell you I can't really tell the difference (but, I'm not very good at that with two products that are so good and provide such excellent SQ.). When I get my Pico Slim, well, that may be another story....

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #9 of 9
Both will work wonder.
smily_headphones1.gif
However being slightly old school, i tend to prefer old vol pot as i find them more reliable and able to tell you how loud the music is in relation to the posn of the pot. But in terms of sound performance, on par imO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back