Ozzie Kotani/Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar
Jun 23, 2002 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

timoteus

500+ Head-Fier
Lately I have been listening to the new Ozzie Kotani CD "To Honor a Queen". It's an instrumental album of the music of Queen Lili'ukolani who lived from 1838-1917. Very melodic, relaxing and emotional. I was wondering if anyone else here listens to this type of music or other music from Hawaii like the late Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

For any of you who would like to read about slack key here is a link:

http://www.dancingcat.com/dancingcat...-history.shtml

Jun 23, 2002 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm not really into slack key, but may I suggest:
A band called Hapa. They are available on cdnow.
Peter Moon
Olomana
If you like, check out Kalapana and Country Comfort. They are not slack key but conteporary bands.
md

Jun 23, 2002 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 6
Haven't heard Ozzie's CDs yet but Israel Kamakawiwo'ole is one of my favorites...a friend of mine grew up with Bruddah IZ and his older brother Skippy in the Kaimuki area long before they moved to Makaha...they shared dreams and desires and got in trouble together...
to add to millerdogs list: the Makaha Sons and the older Makaha Sons of Niihau. The "of Niihau" was left off the newer Makaha Sons since Skippy had died and Israel left the group before his death. Skippy's and Israel's Mom was born on Niihau and moved to Oahu where the two Sons of Niihau were born.

Jun 23, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Don't forget Sonny Chillingsworth. Do you know the name of that great lovesong he sings in portuguese?

Charmarita/Malasadas ??
BTW, I read that Sonny was one of Ozzie's mentors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back