Oxford Shoes Question
Aug 31, 2007 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

atart

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.shoes.com/product.asp?p=5...t_id=EC1027794

I bought myself a pair of those shoes. I really wanted to try out the oxford style slip ons. Well they're here and they look great
biggrin.gif
Only thing is they look about a half size too big when I put them on.

Now my question is, oxfords traditionally taper towards the front. The taper is rather narrow and I don't believe anyone's toes are meant to squeeze into the taper. Am I right? Is the area of the taper at the front meant to be unusable in oxfords?

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 8
Decent shoes there, not great but decent and farily good looking...congrats. Now, about your question. First a half-size is only a 1/16 of an inch, but it makes a big difference fit wise. Why does it matter if they look too big? Do they function comfortably? About the taper of the toebox...no you toes are not meant to go to the end of a pointed shoe. You could add a pointy extension to a pair of shoes and all it would do is change the look and lengthen the shoe but the pointy extension wouldn't chage the fit in any way. I hope that make sense and give you the info you were looking for.

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the responses.

Yes, the sides are actually a perfect fit, and no, they seem proportional to my body size, im about 6'1.

@LonerGenius: why do you say they're decent? Just trying to understand your opinion, planning to buy another pair of similar shoes soon. To be honest, I have absolutely no idea of what "good" shoes are, so I would appreciate your input in making a more informed decision next time.

Cheers.

Sep 2, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 8
"good" shoes are shoes that your happy with in your life..

don't worry about what others think cause they are not on their feet.

but if you want to go higher end wise..

I don't like the English style much, i am more of an Italian loafer dude myself. i like Bruno Magli, Santoni, mezlan, some Ferragamo, and some others mostly.
then again i am not into buying $900.00 shoes neither. i know they are not considered the best and most are third party made but i really like the style and comfort...plus in Chicago i dont have lots of brands available here.

you have two choices with either Italian or English made (the main players). English are said to be the best...again that's just choice.

JOHN LOBB is a huge Favorite in shoes..
so is..
Edward Green
Vass
Allen Edmonds
testoni
FerraGamo Tramezza
Bruno Magli
Mezlan
lattanzi
Kiton
mantellassi
Santoni

to name a few mid/upper line brands..mind you those companies are at very different price points..like $250.00 to $7000.00

regardless of what you wanna do, you will have to learn what a shoe tree is and how important they are, and the rite socks with the rite shoes also!

sorry about your wallet but happy for your feet..

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"good" shoes are shoes that your happy with in your life..

don't worry about what others think cause they are not on their feet.

but if you want to go higher end wise..

I don't like the English style much, i am more of an Italian loafer dude myself. i like Bruno Magli, Santoni, mezlan, some Ferragamo, and some others mostly.
then again i am not into buying $900.00 shoes neither. i know they are not considered the best and most are third party made but i really like the style and comfort...plus in Chicago i dont have lots of brands available here.

you have two choices with either Italian or English made (the main players). English are said to be the best...again that's just choice.

JOHN LOBB is a huge Favorite in shoes..
so is..
Edward Green
Vass
Allen Edmonds
testoni
FerraGamo Tramezza
Bruno Magli
Mezlan
lattanzi
Kiton
mantellassi
Santoni

to name a few mid/upper line brands..mind you those companies are at very different price points..like $250.00 to $7000.00

regardless of what you wanna do, you will have to learn what a shoe tree is and how important they are, and the rite socks with the rite shoes also!

sorry about your wallet but happy for your feet..

Good point. Most of my shoes are $300 range but not everyone has to share my opinion abou what a quality shoe is. If I could I would spend more on even higher quality shoes but I have found my comfort and spending level for now. If a $100 pair of shoes makes you happy then enjoy.

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm way behind the style times. Oxford styles seem to expanded dramatically. These are a couple of what I considered to be classic oxford shoe styles. Shown are Allen Edmonds McClain wingtip oxford ($315) and Paul Stuart Mitchell suede cap toe ($678). I've had both styles, tho' the wingtip was a Johnston & Murphy (no longer in their catalog) -- both very comfortable on my wide forefoot. The cap toe was better for me.

The black Kenneth Coles you linked to don't look that narrow to me and may be comfortable after break in. (I think my big big toe might be a bit vertically confined.)

AllenEdmondsOxfrd_McClain315.jpg

PaulStuartOxfd_Mitchell_678.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back