owwww my touchpad?!
Feb 4, 2005 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

UserNotFound

100+ Head-Fier
So, the first thing i was disapointed with my Zen Touch came up last month : the touch pad went crazy on me: i couldn't control it without it scrolling uncontrollably when i'm not even touching it anymroe. A quick poke of the reset button fixed that.

So today i found out why, at the expense of my ears. When I walk though those detectors at the doors of a library, it makes the touchpad go mad, and induces a very high pitch whine in my player that hurt my ears. I had my e2c's in, but the player was paused.

So yeah...i recommned turning off your player when you walk though those things. I should have tested if it makes it go crazy if you go through with it off.

Feb 4, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by UserNotFound
So today i found out why, at the expense of my ears. When I walk though those detectors at the doors of a library, it makes the touchpad go mad, and induces a very high pitch whine in my player that hurt my ears. I had my e2c's in, but the player was paused.

The high pitched whine I have noticed as well with other players and earphones.

Feb 4, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Pants
hmmm... i wonder if that damages the player at all. what is it, just some sort of metal detector? can anybody tell us more about this?

I work at a library.

The anti-theft devices detect a small strip of metal that's hidden the books. The strip is magnetized when the book is checked in and then demagnetized when the book is checked out.

The magnets they use to set the strip is actually impressively strong. The clerks that check out books will notice that if they're wearing a non-digital watch on the hand that swipes the book across the "sensitizer", at the end of the day the watch will be a few minutes behind because of magnet messing with the function of the watch. Obviously the sensitzer will destroy magnetic tape items.

But, to the point, this doesn't really answer why the Creative is getting screwed with.

The devices in the entry way of libraries doesn't detect metal, but detects the concentrated magnetization of the "tattle-tape" in the book. How it does this, i can only guess.

Feb 5, 2005 at 9:11 AM Post #5 of 8
It happens to me at Uni when I walk through with my Zen Touch. But it's not that painful or loud to me

Feb 5, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpian007
It happens to me at Uni when I walk through with my Zen Touch. But it's not that painful or loud to me

I had my volume all the way up and paused, i'll remember not to do that again.

Feb 5, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
But, to the point, this doesn't really answer why the Creative is getting screwed with.

Perhaps the magnet screws with the HDD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back