Owner's opinion? W1000, CD3000, dt770 comfort
Mar 6, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #16 of 28
I owned the W1000 and CD3000, and I find the Cd3K WAY more comfortable. This is subjective since some find the W1000 comfortable, but it hit my ears wrong and sat on them versus go around them. The Sonys have TONS of room, and are totally comfortable. They can get warm where the pleather hits the head, but it's never been a problem for me. Plus I like the sound of the Sonys over the ATs, but that's just IMHO.

Mar 6, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #17 of 28
And I thought the DT770's would be the last headphones I would be tempted to buy this year... I just know I'll end up with a MDR-CD3000 sooner or later
frown.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 10:25 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
And I thought the DT770's would be the last headphones I would be tempted to buy this year... I just know I'll end up with a MDR-CD3000 sooner or later
frown.gif

Welcome to Team Sony. Or is that Team Compulsive Buyers, I can never keep that straight.

Did you happen to vote Lemming on that poll about your buying habits?

Mar 6, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
No, I voted for the one unavailable option... All of the above.

ROTF. Yeah, it was kind of limited in choices. It took me a week of thinking to decide and choose. I still couldn't find one that really fit, so I chose what ever was closest.

Mar 6, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #21 of 28
Okay, I know I shouldn't do this....
But I'm gonna buy a pair of W1000's and just HOPE they fit nicely. I think I value the more-closed-than-CD3000 property enough to take the chance.

Is this sane?

DAMN YOU HEAD-FI! <sob>

So, if they don't fit, someone wouldn't mind taking them off my hands for very near the original price (I'll pay shipping)? If they don't fit I wouldn't have used them for more than a few minutes I'm sure.

Pretty please?

Mar 6, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #22 of 28
I voted for CD3000, (weird right?) after 2 minutes in your head it simply disappears, you feel nothing, unless you move your head or so, extremelly comfortable.....

Mar 7, 2003 at 12:07 AM Post #23 of 28
I find the W1000 extremely comfortable. I have very small ears though. Actually, the first time I wore them for ~3 hours straight, my ears felt a little sore. However, I got used to them very quickly, and now I wear them for hours and hours with no problems. What I'm saying is, don't rush to judgment; let yourself get used to them before you decide whether they are comfortable enough. BTW, they always felt good for the first hour, it's extended listening that I had to adjust to at first.

Mar 7, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #24 of 28
hey "The Dude"...
I had contributed my (rather large) ear measurements in the thread you mentioned. The W1000's interior opening is probably going to be smaller that the average (read: probably your) ears. But interestingly, the design of the pad is such that it ALMOST feels circumaural. I find that for maximum comfort I can easily tuck my lobes into the openings (please excuse the graphic description
wink.gif
). The pads are soft and the pressure applied by the head band-wing system is very light. I too was looking for a purely circumaural-closed system, but the W1000s provide a very nice mix of fidelity and comfort... a combo that I have not regretted. If anything (and not to overemphasize) the pressure of the pads is almost too light. ...applying slight pressure (by hand) seems to increase the 'presence' of the music (not that the W1000s need more 'presence').
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2003 at 6:26 AM Post #25 of 28
Hey "the dude" for what it's worth...
I found my post of feb 2...
Hadron measured 54 mm width of the inside of the w1000's circular ear cup. I measure 56 mm on mine (no big diff). the nominal depth of the cup is 10 mm. The cushion is 24 mm wide so there's pretty good distribution of pressure (read: extremely light pressure). My ears are 69 mm at their widest (top to bottom of lobe)...I never considered them big but that's what they are. I find that I can easily positon the cushions so that all of my ear feels like its entirely within the interior of the cushion. They are very comfortable from that standpoint. I can imagine (as the weather warms up) that the pleather covers will be a bit hot... but I don't notice it yet.

...Bongo

Mar 7, 2003 at 7:26 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
... Actually, the reason I own my w1000's is because the CD3000 felt more comfortable to a certain other head-fier, who will probably chime in here once he sees it...

As I read this thread while offline and bored I stumbled across this. HEHE, yeah, I owned those W1000s for about 24 hours before I decided they didn't fit my ears comfortably, and sold them off to LobsterSan. We both have never regretted the experience. I love the Sonys, and he the AT W1000s.

Thanks for the reminder!

Mar 7, 2003 at 1:54 PM Post #27 of 28
Thanks Bongo for the detail.
smily_headphones1.gif

One question: with your ears stuffed in there, are you able to feel the driver vibrate? If so, does it bother you, or is it at an 'unexpected feature'.
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #28 of 28
hi " Dude",
Absolutely no (non-musical) vibrations coming through the headset. You may know, there's a mesh covering the transducers Although, my ears are touching the mesh, I really can just barely feel this ... to me this is not a factor. The transducers are about 2-3 mm behind this mesh ... i have no sensation of my ears making contact with the transducers. Also FYI, the transducers are angled at (pure estimate) about 3-4 degrees to the front... so they are even farther from the back edge of the listeners ears. of course this angle helps to reproduce a front facing soundstage. ...now (off topic) I wonder how many phones have angled transducers ... probably alot of high end cans, but I'm still a newbe and wondering
smily_headphones1.gif

Bongo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back