Owners of the Audeze LCD-2C, how do they sound without an amp ?
May 23, 2018 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vanen

New Head-Fier
Hello, i'm very interested in buying some very good open leather free headphones and stumbled upon the LCD-2C which peaked my interest. However, the issue is that for "home" listening, i have already some pretty high end JBL speakers and thus i dont really need them for home listening but more for when im at someones home.

I intend to use them in some kind of portable way (not portable portable, i use intras for real portability) but then the answers about whats needed to drive them properly is kinda mixed. Some say they sound terrible without an amp, other say they sound surprisingly good (even though it can be better) and i think Till even said that due to their high sensitivity, they can be driven pretty ok on portable devices.

so i was wondering if they would still sound good (like 90% of their quality) on mobile devices like on high end phones (or even be bold and try on a Nintendo Switch, big zelda fan and i love my OST's) and if they would sound better than most "portable" headphones or if this would be a dumb idea. So for all of you that own them, can you try them straight through a mobile device like an iPhone and tell me objectively how do you feel they sound ?

I must note that i know it will sound better with an amp, so thats not really what i'm asking, i want to k ow if they sound good and retain what makes them good. It's just that i've owned many headphones and IEM like the HD800 and SE846 and sometimes, the "they sound like crap without an amp" is completely overexaggerated, sometimes its not and the only way to know is to try them or ask someone who tried them

Also, the LCD-X are out of the equation for me. they don't really sell it officially where i live and its crazy expensive, plus they're covered in leather (the leather free options seems to have been discontinued ) which i'm kind of allergic. yeah it's a shame

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 7
I think the main problem you would have using them for "portable" use would be that they are open and will leak sound like crazy so I hope whose-ever around you wants to listen to what your listening too. However I did try mine through my HTC M9 using spotify, and they don't sound good or bad just ok had to have volume at 8/10or 9/10 to get them loud enough. They obviously sound much better through my amp, Questyle cma400i. I think for the money you would be better off buying something more focused on portability.

May 23, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 7
that wouldnt be a concern, as like i said, when i need real portability, i would use my iem instead. its more for when ill be at the hotel or someones home. i would use them more as "portable speaker" than real headphones. How was the bass, and how did it compare to actual mobile hadphones ?

i saw the hifiman x and it peaked my interest but its twice the price and reportedly lack that oompf im after compared to the audeze so i'm torn

May 25, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 7
I owned LCD2C paired with NAD D3020 as part of my computer rig. From time to time I use them directly with my iphone8 while doing house errands and they sound pretty good, not much different than run them through D3020. Don't expect blasting sound through your phone.

May 27, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #7 of 7
Isn't Beats Solo 3 better for that purpose? Cheaper and looks better. I am just asking because I heard neither of them.
I have not heard the beats, but if you can handle lots of bass or like it, it's good performer for a closedback. Being a closedback makes it versatile.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back