Owner Sony Discman D-66, Help!!!!!!!!!
Nov 27, 2005 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

manoppo2

Head-Fier
Hello Everybody,
i just got D-66 from Ebay without AC adaptor.
could anybody be kindly to tell me what AC adaptor i need to get?
i mean like Volt, polarity, mA for out put.
TIA

Nov 27, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 10
I don't own the unit, but many items that have an AC adapter input either have the voltage requirement/polarity printed or in raised plastic near the input.

Maybe that isn't the case with the D-66 but might want to break out the magnifying glass and have a close look.

Paul

Nov 27, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 10
It probably needs a 9v adaptor like the D-35 I have; although, I don't know for certain.

You're the guy who outbid me on that Aiwa XP-55 I wanted at like 15 seconds to close!
frown.gif

Oh well.

Nov 27, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by manoppo2
Hello Everybody,
i just got D-66 from Ebay without AC adaptor.
could anybody be kindly to tell me what AC adaptor i need to get?
i mean like Volt, polarity, mA for out put.
TIA

According to the manual, it should need a 6 volt adaptor with the centre of the plug positive.

There is a note in the manual that says you should not use the adaptors for other Discmen that use 9 volts.

Nov 27, 2005 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 10
Hello again,
if you read that manual there're 2 AC adapter one 6 V and the other 9 V.
which one the right one?
i tried both of them nothing work. display only shown 00 after couple second shut off by itself.
the seller stated that player is new(with missing AC adapter).
i just suspect that player is defective.
any suggestion?
Thanks to Everybody that give me quick response.
Filburt, i'm sorry Man to outbid you on XP-55, next time i'll promise to stay away when i see xp-55 show up again.
by the way this player is superb in sound term(IMO), you won't regret it when you get this model.

Nov 28, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by manoppo2
Hello again,
if you read that manual there're 2 AC adapter one 6 V and the other 9 V.
which one the right one?
i tried both of them nothing work. display only shown 00 after couple second shut off by itself.
the seller stated that player is new(with missing AC adapter).
i just suspect that player is defective.
any suggestion?
Thanks to Everybody that give me quick response.
Filburt, i'm sorry Man to outbid you on XP-55, next time i'll promise to stay away when i see xp-55 show up again.
by the way this player is superb in sound term(IMO), you won't regret it when you get this model.

Thanks manoppo
smily_headphones1.gif
. Could you describe in a little more detail what it does when you try to play a CD?

Nov 28, 2005 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 10
On a related note, I tried a Sony 4.5v adapter with my D-33 (requires 9v) and believe it or not, it worked... yes, the batteries were removed when I tried it. Just about blew my mind, but I guess it makes sense given the player runs OK on four 1.2v batteries. Wouldn't want to run it at that low a voltage tho, possibly restricts dynamics or causes other issues.

Nov 28, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 10
Manoppo2,

Take a look at the ac jack on the D-66, near to the ac jack on the D-66 there should be an indcation as to wether your D-66 takes a 9v or 6v adapter with a negative (-) or postive (+) polarity tip. Since you have mentioned that your D-66 powers up after trying a ac adapter and that the lcd display shows 00 then shuts off after a while indicates that your D-66 may be faulty. If you tried to play a cd and the lcd displays 00, it indcates that the laser is unable to read the cd for some reason or another.

Nov 29, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 10
i just came back from sony service center.
It's confirmed that faulty from lense like warubozu said.
to fix it will cost me fortune.
Filburt, xp-55 is really beast. it reads CDR, CDR-W.
this player is underated not so many head-fier mention it.

Nov 29, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #10 of 10
Manoppo, glad to hear it on the Aiwa. Unfortunately, the XP-55 seems to be a rare find nowadays on eBay. Hence my disappointment on not getting it!

Open the D-66 up and adjust the Tracking Balance first, then maybe the Tracking Gain, Focus Gain, and Focus Bias. On one player, I had to adjust every pot on the cd player (including the PLL) to get it to work correctly.

Hopefully, you'll be able to salvage the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back