own "vision:m", upgrade to "D2" ?
Sep 20, 2008 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

hamedy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,
I own a creative zen vision:m and it really has an agreeable sound but with my new phone, triple fi 10 pro, it makes a bothering background "hiss", the result is i can enjoy the music just in places like train and other noisy areas, because the environment noise causes me not hearing the background hiss!

I've heard cowon D2 has a better sound quality in terms of detail and transparency comparing to competitors like vision:m or zune 2G,
is this true?
and how about "hiss" ?

D2 also has the ability to drive a grado, I dont have any amp and this is an advantage for me too.

thanks in advance.

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 14
i had the 30giga version and as soon as i listen to it ,i start looking to sell it and buy another player.and this was the D2.there is no comparison.Better at all aspects

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotiris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i had the 30giga version and as soon as i listen to it ,i start looking to sell it and buy another player.and this was the D2.there is no comparison.Better at all aspects

thank you Sotiris for reply,
I don't really mind how is GUI, weight, display, etc... just sound quality,
would you explain this section and your comparison more accurately please?
which phone you use with D2 and is there any "hiss" ? if yes then how much?

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
an attenuator could make it all better + its a cheap solution

thanks for reply,
if you mean those like the one came with my ultimate phone, it does not help at all. its like it make the volume 5 level lower but the "hiss" is still noticeable, also i always listen with max vol and it cant be a real solution.

As i want a better sound quality if D2 solves this problem then i will buy it. but first i should be sure.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 14
from ZVM to D2, that is a degrade. you should consider Kenwood.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 14
No, it isn't tottiflames.
eek.gif

I upgraded for the same reason. Even the Zen's lineout is crap for amping, hisses alot too.

The sound quality is better, the ability to drive demanding headphones too. The sound enhancements are fantastic, mach3bass is great, no loss of highs, more detailed bass with Livewires... Great for making my crappy old comfortable sony headphones sound reasonable, drives them with ease.

Different UI, takes time to get used, your friends will hate it when they try it, and you have to explain it takes a few days to get used to.

Video codecs are not as good, but that is where it ends. DRAG AND DROP! FOLDER OR ID3 BROWSING, Flash games, great sound quality, flash memory, SDHC CARD EXPANSION, smaller, lighter, easier to change song and volume (or change volume, and fw and rw) through pocket with Menu button long push and volume control hold mode (easier than zen to do in pocket cos the menu button is in the middle and longer than the vol. buttons, wheras with the Zen you didnt know which side of the touchpad or panel section to click through your pocket)

There is no lineout, but it can be closley mimicked on vol. 34 and with the right EQ and jeteffects set, and to my ears that setup for an amp sounds better than the Zen's hissy lineout (although i did test with two different amps)

You will love it.

Matt

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tottiflames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from ZVM to D2, that is a degrade. you should consider Kenwood.

Are you sure? you mean degrade in sound quality? would you explain more please...

sadly kenwood is not availabe here.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it isn't tottiflames.
eek.gif

I upgraded for the same reason. Even the Zen's lineout is crap for amping, hisses alot too.

The sound quality is better....
Matt

thank you for reply,
and does D2 browse library from internal memory and extention memory in one place or you should come back ang go to memory card and vice versa?

another question, can i use a 16 gigabyte SDHC card on it?

thanks in advance.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 14
Yes, when in ID3 library view both SD and internal memory artists/albums/tracks/genres (etc.) are show, unlike the Creative ZEN's SD integration, which sucks totally.

Yes 16gb is ok, and works, as does 32gb, BUT there is a file limit of 4,000 audio and video files (not photos or random files) on the Internal memory, and 4,000 limit on the SD card slot.

With my bitrates a 16gb sd would be full before it had reached the file limit which is good, but unfortunately they only upped it from 3,000 to 4,000 after i had ordered my SD's, sods law, so i now carry 3 8gb cards
frown.gif

So 8,000 files (excluding photo's) total can be on the device at once, thats why i carry multiple SD's when i could carry just one 32gb one, but with my small files it would only be 3/4 full when the limit had been reached and songs stopped appearing in my library. If you use FLAC (big files) or carry lots of videos 32gb is fine too, but not for my MP3 library, files are small. Once you go over the limit, every file/song/video over 4,000 wont show up.

I hope you understand my english, the file limit bit is a little confusing.

Matt

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, when in ID3 library view both SD and internal memory artists/albums/tracks/genres (etc.) are show, unlike the Creative ZEN's SD integration, which sucks totally....

Matt

thank you matt,
I have a weak english writing i know, but my reading is not that bad, got your words
biggrin.gif

too bad about SD cards but you can separate your music by genres or by alphabet on several memory cards...
my whole library is 3500 files by now, using mp3 320 kb most of the time, so i dont have any limitation by file numbers but the capacity is an issue.

thank you again for precious information.

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 14
No problem.

I have a 4gb D2, with artists A to C on it.

My first 8gb card has D to J on it. I think this has 1.2gb free.

My second 8gb card has K to P on it. Has about 440mb free.

My third 8gb card has Q to W on it. Has about 1mb free.

And there is another gig or so to put on and spread across somehow!

Matt

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 14
Also, not touched on yet is that the screen is amazing. It is crystal clear with movies and such with a huge color pallet. Having to convert them does suck though.

I havent had the Zen though, so not sure how the SQ is, but it sounds great through the D2. I do get a small amount of hiss with the SE530 since they are super sensitive but not with my Sleek SA6 ~50ohm. With my amp there is no hiss with either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back