Owl City - sounds alot like the postal service
May 27, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #16 of 52
I like Ocean Eyes by Owl City, I also like what I've heard of Postal Service.

May 28, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #17 of 52
yeah, but does the singer of Owl City have a wife anywhere NEAR as hot as Zooey Deschanel???
wink_face.gif

May 28, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #18 of 52
Quote:
yeah, but does the singer of Owl City have a wife anywhere NEAR as hot as Zooey Deschanel???
wink_face.gif

For some reason, the wording of that threw me off, and for a moment I was horror-stricken with the idea that somehow the Owl Singer singer was married to her. Fortunately that was not the case, and I'm both surprised and impressed to now know about this connection between Deschanel and Gibbard.

This isn't my first late revelation about Deschanel though...I've only heard of her in "500 Days of Summer," and was completely thrown off when I heard she was a singer in a band as well.
redface.gif

May 28, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #19 of 52
The music and the lyrics aren't actually that bad, but i cannot stand the vocals, utterly horrible IMHO. 

May 28, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #20 of 52
Good point, but I believe beauty is better expressed through emotion and language, and that sound and conversation are the condiut by which we experience it.

Quote:
wink_face.gif

May 28, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #21 of 52
I hold the opinion that Owl City is pure unadulterated crap...  Hope that doesn't offend anyone, I mean everyone has different tastes and all.

However, Fireflies is really nicely produced.  I like listening to it.  Just goes to show that there's so much more to music than just raw talent.

May 28, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #24 of 52
Quote:
The music and the lyrics aren't actually that bad, but i cannot stand the vocals, utterly horrible IMHO. 

Ugh, somebody removed all the Owl City/The Postal Service comparison parts in Owl City's Wiki page. Which is lame, because it had two articles that it linked to that said hwo much it's a lame ripoff of The Postal Service.

Anyway, I still remember the lyrics that one of the articles pointed out, and...well, I'll just quote it now:
Quote:
If you're the bird whenever we pretend it's summer
Then I'm the worm, I know the part, it's such a bummer
But fair is fair, if my segments get separated
I'll scream and you'll be there

...Seriously?

May 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #25 of 52
@Marching Mule

"...if the bombs go off, the sun will still be shining
because I've heard it said that every mushroom cloud has a silver lining
though we're always undermining our need to know..."

...Yes, Seriously, take it an album at a time, one song has never made or broken an album for me.

May 28, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #26 of 52
Either way, the guys voice makes me want to kill myself.

May 29, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #27 of 52

Quote:
Ugh, somebody removed all the Owl City/The Postal Service comparison parts in Owl City's Wiki page. Which is lame, because it had two articles that it linked to that said hwo much it's a lame ripoff of The Postal Service.

Anyway, I still remember the lyrics that one of the articles pointed out, and...well, I'll just quote it now:

...Seriously?

Hello Seattle, I am an old lighthouse

Cause I'd get a thousand hugs
From ten thousand lightning bugs

one redeeming quality of the postal service is they're not a dude sitting in front of his mac singing and calling it a "concert"
wink_face.gif

May 29, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #28 of 52
He shouldn't even be classified as a dude. He gave away his man card singing like that.

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #29 of 52
I'm always really surprised that anyone can think Owl City's sappy brand of pop sounds anything similar to The Postal Service; there are so many better bands with an indie electro pop sound out there (who can actually write lyrics that appeal to non pre teens too).

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #30 of 52
lol.

you guys realise that everyone has different tastes in music right? I think what matters is that there are people who enjoy it and if they do, why do we condemn their tastes for it? I'm sure some of you have listened to some music that people have dissed about and then kept quiet about it after. further, some people like heavy metal, some don't; some people like a certain band, some people love that band and some go crazy over the band and know everything about it; some people skim a song for its lyrics, some just for its beats, some for both. to each their own.

at the end of the day, we all like different earphones, headphones, amps, dacs, speakers, etc; and some may come to a consensus about some products, but in general, everyone has different views about so many set ups out there that it is really hard to tell 'cept just say, 'if you enjoy it, like it, love it, stick with it'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back