Overwhelmed with info, Need some recommendations
Oct 18, 2009 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

metril

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I've been a mere observer for the past year, and it's finally time that I get myself some good audio.

I'm on a college student's budget, so I'm willing to spend about $100.

I have an iPod touch. It sounds nice and definitely better than playing music with my HTC Fuze phone for portable listening. However, I need some more of a "umph" and better sound.

In my dorm, I used a Turtle Beach SRM with the Senheisser HD280pro. I also use a 2.1 set of Altec Lansing speakers (compared to the same model sold today, these are considerably better in terms of sound quality, at least to me).

I listen to all kinds of music. As for more portable headphones, I was thinking of getting the JVC Marshmallows since I've read that for $20, they are just as good as some $100 earplug/in-ear headphones.

I'd appreciate it if someone can recommend a portable amp to use with my iPod touch. I do intend to use the line-out from the iPod and not the actual headphone jack.

I'm not too sure about the JVC Marshmallows, but I wouldn't mind being recommended some other portable headphones.

I know my budget is low, but I'd like to start somewhere and slowly work my way up. I mean, I've already begun reripping my music into flac. I've been playing the violin for over 12 years now so I'm able to tell when it just doesn't sound right.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, I've already looked into the Fiio E5, but I've read that they aren't that great and lack in power.

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 6
my recommendation with that budget is to spend all the 100 ion some good headphones; marshmallows and a mediocre amp will not sound better than higher quality headphones that are efficient enough to drive straight out of the ipod. with 100 you could only get mediocre headphones, cheap amp and cheap LOD. basically what you will end up with is 3 different kinds of cheap
wink.gif
get decent efficient headphones and work on getting an amp later.

i'm not the best guy to talk to about entry level gear unfortunately, but someone will come along who is. I recommend looking at the review threads by Clieos here on the forum, he does well thought out and thorough comparisons. sorry I couldnt be of more help, I would just hate to see you fall into the trap caused by looking at head-fi that makes you think you should get all this stuff; get good gear, one step at a time. that way you keep it a little longer. if you bought entry level everything, you would have to replace it all at once to gat much improvement from there on in.

hope that makes sense, good luck!!

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 6
^what he said

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 6
yeah i've heard the RE0 are very good for the money, but I hesitated recommending them because A. I havent heard them and B. I have seen many times them mentioned as needing an amp to sound their best. I think there may be better choices if he is not getting an amp at this stage. but, I guess you could look at it like he would still get better sound; even unamped as compared with the combination of cheap stuff listed in the OP. then he can add an amp and get a decent upgrade without getting a top shelf amp. I say this because I have found IME that already efficient higher quality headphones only really start to show benefit with a high quality amp; sounding much the same, or with marginal improvement from a moderately priced amp.

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 6
The OK2 or PK1 would be very nice buds which do not need an amp to sound good. These can be found used for under $100 if you take your time. Of course being buds they do not isolate as well as IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back