Overwhelmed... I need advice on a DAC - AMP and CANS
Jan 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TouchyFeely

New Head-Fier
I need advice on a DAC/AMP combo or individula units as well as a set of CANs. I love listening to music but primarily I will have my DAC\AMP connect to my PC. Can I please get some advice please?

My cost break down goes something like this:

DAC - 200.00
AMP - 200.00

OR

DAC/AMP 260.00

CANS - 80.00 - 150.00

Please help... I want to order these ASAP I just dont know what to get, too many options.

AKG?
Fostex?
Audio Technica?
Grado?

Is this DAC and AMP combo any good? http://www.mav-audio.com/

I'm so discouraged, someone please give me some direction.

Portability is not a concern, I rather have heavy and built like a tank then delicate and portable. I just don't want to spend 500.00 to turn around, learn more then feel like a dumbass for buying my first gear from Dollar Tree.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 3
It's really easy to get overwhelmed by all of the opinions, reviews, technical jargon.  I'm still wading through all of the amp/dac info myself, why not take it in steps though? Rather than try and find all 3 at once, right away.

Start with a great set of cans, figure out what your preferences are, open or closed, circum-aural or compact, what type of music you'll primarily be listening to and what others with those tastes recommend, etc.  Find an electronics store that has some listening stations, Guitar Center, Fry's, etc.  Test some out to get an idea of what people are talking about on the forums.  It helps a lot.

It took a month of researching before I settled on my Denons, it's been almost a year later and I'm trying to figure out what Amp I want to go with them, and it may be another 3-6 months before I start figuring out the highly technical DAC conundrum.

I don't know if it's realistic to think that someone is just going to swing by and drop three product names for what you should get, and expect it to fit what your tastes/desires/expectations are.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 3
I am actually hard of hearing, I have in the neighborhood of 15% to 20% hearing loss, point being that what inspired all this to begin with is that my sound card just doesnt get loud enough for me. So I started to look up HEADPHONE aplifiers and learned about DACS and then read taht having those things are worthless if you dont have good CANS.

I really just want to Get a good AMP and DAC or AMP and DAC combo.. But I need some advice. I also want it to look nice, the Maverick Audio equipment looks nice to me. I like the Black but I just dont know who the heck Maverick audio is and can I get something better or equal in quality for less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back