Overwhelmed by IEM choices
Jul 14, 2016 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

iScream

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

My beloved Westone UM2's were stolen a few weeks ago while I was on vacation.  I had those things for 12 years and they were still going strong.  One of the 5 best audio purchases I've ever made.

I've been using some Apple ear buds at work lately and hate them.  I also have my old AKG K271 Studio headphones at work with an amp and they sound good but get annoying after having them on for a couple hours.

So I'm looking for a new IEM but there are so many choices now that I have no idea where to start.  Can any of you guys with years of experience recommend something with similar voicing and quality to my old UM2's?  It would be nice if I could keep the price around $200 but I can spend more if there's a good reason.

They will mostly be used at work plugged into an amp driven by the USB digital out of my iPhone.  

Thanks,
Chris 

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 4
You could try the Echobox Finder X1 or Mee Audio Pinnacle P1. Both cost $199 iirc.

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 4
  You could try the Echobox Finder X1 or Mee Audio Pinnacle P1. Both cost $199 iirc.

Thanks for the recommendation.  Finally had the chance to do some review reading and that Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 sounds very promising.  Too bad I didn't get ripped off a few months earlier so I could get in on the sale prices.

I added a pair to my Amazon cart tonight then saw that it was out of stock for a few days.  So I've been reading more but haven't found anything to turn me away from them yet.

Would be extremely grateful if anyone could compare the sound to my HiFiMan HE400i or my old AKG K271S since I'm not getting anything comparing to the Westone UM2.

Thanks,
Chris

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 4
The westone um2 and shure e5c were what convince me to move up into customs. They were both great universal iems for their time. I still really enjoy the westone sound and would probably look into another pair of westone universals. You could stick with two drivers w20 or upgrade to as many as 6 drivers if you really want. I find if you have the money the w40 are pretty amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back