Oversampling DAC & 16/44.1 Source
Jan 4, 2009 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

EFN

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi. Hope someone can help to clarify this. Will there any benefit feeding my CDs which are entirely in 14/44.1 Khz format through an 8X Oversampling 24/192Khz capable DAC? Or will will this be only applicable if the source itself is of higher grade material?

Thanks in advance.
beerchug.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 6
oversampling/upsampling does affect the sound though the perceived difference is very subjective. oversampling helps to smooth out artifacts and improve the signal-to-noise ratio which can lead to a perceived improvement in detail and resolution. from my experience and what i've seen, oversampling tends to sound (ever so) slightly more crisp/processed/sharper around the edges whereas non-oversampling has a more organic/tubey/smoother sound. although, i must say the difference is very, very minimal from what i can hear.

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oversampling and upsampling are different things. I used to have a link where these and their improvements on signal is explained, but I have lost it.

*edit* Here are some descriptions what happens in oversampling process.
Vic Trola's Audiophile Blog

yes i know they are not the same but the general concepts (upping the sampling rates, interpolation, whathaveyou) is similar, just different implementations. i was trying more to explain that the effect in both cases is that they tend to sound a tad bit more crisp/brighter than non-oversampling.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmashta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from my experience and what i've seen, oversampling tends to sound (ever so) slightly more crisp/processed/sharper around the edges whereas non-oversampling has a more organic/tubey/smoother sound. although, i must say the difference is very, very minimal from what i can hear.

My precise experience as well. Which makes me wish more DACs had the option to turn it on or off. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it hinders. I have also tended to notice that oversampling seems to be of more "benefit" (read changing the sound) to CD than DAT quality sources or higher. I suppose this makes sense (at least to me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back