Overrated guitar players.
Feb 10, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
Albert King . . . . . John Lee Hooker
eek.gif

Well....have you ever heard the Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughan "Sessions" this is a hell of an album!!!!

Feb 10, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #32 of 43
Sorry, but Jimmy Page sounds like crap live. He sounds like an amateur trying to play his own stuff. I've seen him plenty of times and he was fair at best.

I wasn't comparing the talent levels of Lifeson and Townsend, but the particular use rhythm lead parts in their respective songs.

Anyway...

Regards

Feb 10, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Cherokee Mist
Sorry, but Jimmy Page sounds like crap live. He sounds like an amateur trying to play his own stuff. I've seen him plenty of times and he was fair at best.
Regards

I do not agree with that, about Jimmy Page, I have seen and hear most of his recorded shows and I have not seen any crappy performance to the date.....I know that he never sounded like in studio and all versions usually sounded different, but to say is a crappy performance is another thing....

Feb 10, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #34 of 43
Sov,
Don't get me wrong. Led Zeppelin was my first favorite rock band and I still listen to them to this day, but I've seen too many great shows with amazing guitar performances and none of Page's shows make even my top 50.

Disclaimer: Please assume every statement to mean “to my ears”, "in my experience", “in my opinion”, etc, etc...

Regards

Feb 10, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #35 of 43
I like Zep, but I'm not a Zep fan, I preffer other stuff a way more, but is not fair to bash the poor Page like that neither, man....he is a very goodp layer and very talented musician, a bad day, maybe...or a few bad days....LOL....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #37 of 43
Let's be careful with this thread. I don't see a problem with people stating opinions on this stuff, but do not actively attack those of others...if things get nasty, I will close the thread, as Music Fanatic said, it is not really in the spirit of the forum.

Feb 10, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

How about most, if not all, of the 80's hair metal band guitarists? They followed Eddie Van Halen's example and basically copied all of his riffs and tricks. Not one shred of originality in the bunch.

Is it me or are all of the popular nu-metal bands' guitarists pretty damn awful? For example: Linkin' Park, Korn, etc.

But that's all pop, so of course they stink. Besides, they can't be overrated since no one ever thought they were any good
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #39 of 43
Wow! I can't believe no has said Jimmy Hendrix yet?
confused.gif
eek.gif

Feb 10, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #40 of 43
i'd be very interested to see how many people posting in this thread have ever attempted to play guitar, or any instrument for that matter.

after recently starting to play acoustic guitar, i have a newfound awe and respect for almost every guitarist i hear on my system.
biggrin.gif

i guess it's all about your personal reference.

Feb 10, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
Kirk Hammit sp from Metallica

The most shocking piece of stupidity ever posted on Head-Fi. Somebody buy this guy a title that reads, simply, "Troll".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back