Overrated guitar players.
Feb 9, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by UberNewb
I assume "Sasquatch from ZZ Top" is the Rev. Billy Gibbons?

I think I'm done with this thread
rolleyes.gif

No kidding!

Feb 9, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
1. Eddie Van Halen
2. Stevie Ray Vaughn
3. Yngwie Malmsteen
4. Steve Vai
5. Sasquatch from ZZ Top

Are you nuts or what? I do not agree with all of the above except maybe the ZZ top one even when I love their riffs....
Van Halen is a fu...g virtuoso, the second does not need a defense, everybody here nows him, and just listen what BB King had said about him in the tribute video, while BB had to think what to play in a solo, and what is going next, Stevie, just played it and period, he was a musician by heart, not from any school......the third tends to be bored but technically is good...wait a minute are you serious? Vai is unique, no single guitarist that play with Joe Satriani could be even a mediocre one, if you got a chance do yourself a favor, take a look at the last DVD from him, Live at Astoria, one of the best concerts, I have seen ever, he and Satriani, are among my favorites on that style...people here is mazing...guys seriously leave the headphones aside for a while, and begin to listen music instead, where is the sense of an artist that you have???? Jesus Christ...!!!!

Feb 9, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Are you nuts or what? I do not agree with all of the above except maybe the ZZ top one even when I love their riffs....
Van Halen is a fu...g virtuoso, the second does not need a defense, everybody here nows him, and just listen what BB King had said about him in the tribute video, while BB had to think what to play in a solo, and what is going next, Stevie, just played it and period, he was a musician by heart, not from any school......the third tends to be bored but technically is good...wait a minute are you serious? Vai is unique, no single guitarist that play with Joe Satriani could be even a mediocre one, if you got a chance do yourself a favor, take a look at the last DVD from him, Live at Astoria, one of the best concerts, I have seen ever, he and Satriani, are among my favorites on that style...people here is mazing...guys seriously leave the headphones aside for a while, and begin to listen music instead, where is the sense of an artist that you have???? Jesus Christ...!!!!

I agree with you 100%, and I think that the ZZ Top guys riffs are good enough to warrant any praise he gets. The rest of the pack are some of the greatest virtuosos to ever play guitar. I guess this just goes to show how some people have no clue what guitar playing is suppose to sound like or the history of the guitar.

Feb 9, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by UberNewb
Keith Richards and Pete Townshend might both be less then stellar technically, but they both play with more style and attitude than a million Yngwie Malmsteen clones. You hear either of them and BAM you know it's Keef or Pete.

We won't even touch on the composing part, Keith Richards wrote the riff to Satisfaction in his sleep... seriously.

On the other hand... I would bet that when Satisfaction or Won't Get Fooled Again come on the radio... most of the people that read this forum probably get a goofy grin on their face. I would bet that the majority of us even break into spontaneous air guitar on the steering wheel! It's hard to over-rate a guitar player who's performace AND songwriting can do that.

Hey Buddy, I'm a Who fan, I have all their albums, but what is true is true, what can we do, I love the Who music, but not because of Pete's guitar, the band sounded incredible and has a unique sound, I love them, about the Style, yes you are right, same as attitude, but please Keith Richard, doesn't even go closer to Pete on that, actually I do believe he look pathetic on the stage....he looked like my grandpa'

Feb 10, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Dimitri
Rhythm guitarists like Keef and Pete Townsend are excellent at what they do--they play rock rhythm--a simple but critical position in the band. I don't consider them overrated.

Sorry but Pete is not rhythm guitarist, he is the only guitarist in the band, so who's the lead, then? Oh maybe the Ox, I agree that even Keith Moon could do it better, but this was not the case....I love the Who, OK?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #28 of 43
How about most, if not all, of the 80's hair metal band guitarists? They followed Eddie Van Halen's example and basically copied all of his riffs and tricks. Not one shred of originality in the bunch.

Is it me or are all of the popular nu-metal bands' guitarists pretty damn awful? For example: Linkin' Park, Korn, etc.

Kirk Hammett used to be a above average guitarist until this last debacle that they called an album. After all, he did used to be Joe Satriana's student.

As for Pete Townsend's style - I would call it rhythm lead guitar much like the way Alex Lifeson of Rush plays where several of the rhythm parts in a given song are musical statements unto themselves separate from the actual lead parts.

Keith Richards is a brilliant rhythm guitarist, but he has seen better days....like 30 years ago.

Now I know many people would disagree, but Jimmy Page, while one of the most influential guitarists of all time, is overrated. He came up with some great riffs, but usually had to re-record them dozens of times times to get them right. I think that any guitarist can be ultimately judged by whether or not a they can reproduce what they have done in the studio and translate it in a live setting. I have many Led Zeppelin bootlegs as well as the official live releases and Jimmy's playing is just not up to par with what he did in the studio. I think that Joe Perry of Aerosmith falls into the same category.

Just my $0.02

BTW, how is Frank Zappa overrated? I would humbly disagree with that notion and I think that I would be safe in saying anybody that has had the priviledge of playing with him (Steve Vai, Mike Keneally, Warren Cuccurullo, etc.) would also.

Feb 10, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #29 of 43
Please don't compare the musical talent of Pete with Alex Lifeson, with all the respect the grandpa deserves, Alex Lifeson is a way better musician, and yes both played rhythm guitar, at the end they are the only one in their respective bands, so no other choice....Keef....about 40 years ago I would said.....

Jimmy Page, I agree with you on that he never played the same way a song, but have you ever asked him, if is that the way he wants to, maybe he wanted to do it that way, if is like that, you have to agree that he has a lot of talent then, is not easy to get all those new ideas every night, I do believe that he is perfectly capable of reproducing what was done on studio, but maybe he was not 100% satisfied with the job there, and maybe he like to do it better after...there are many variants that we will never know about that, arts are not as simple, as playing a chord here or there, the preference of the musician, is also important, IMO for example Mark Knopfler always leave me with the wish of hearing more in his solos, like incomplete, or mutilate, or extremely simple, same as Becko, but this is the way they play....
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back