Overpriced vintage turntables
Oct 29, 2002 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 6
And to think I used to have a TD-124 just like this that I let go for $200 in 1998! Oh, well. It's a nice table, but $881 is ludicrous! I'd feel bad ripping off people like that.

Oct 29, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 6
I have a Fisher turntable (from 1985 i believe) with a Stanton 500 cartridge...sounds great to me. I think you're all nuts...

Oct 29, 2002 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 6
A Garrard 301 for $200? No way. Maybe you meant a 401.

I agree that the TD-124 is high, although beautiful condition, good base, and SME arm get do you part of the way there.

Gloco, I listened to a $150 1981 Sherwood (JVC clone) belt drive turntable with a not-too-****ty arm for about 15 years. When I replaced the lower end Ortofon with a Sumiko Blue Point Special during that period, I couldn't believe how great it sounded, and didn't know why anyone would ask for anything more. That set up is probably a couple notches up from your Firsher/Stanton. (I use a Stanton 500 with custom stylii for audio restoration.)

But then I got a used reasonably priced audiophile rig. Even using the same cartridge, it was no contest, I had no idea what I was missing. Bass, nuance, and timbre. And a true surprise: high end distortion on favorite worn LPs that served duty on changers in the 60s was mostly gone! One of the best audio upgrades I ever made.

Oct 30, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 6
Dare I mention...

The Linn LP12
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Dare I mention...

The Linn LP12
very_evil_smiley.gif

Not if you don't want to start a fight with the Linn lovers.i got into a big debate some time ago with a bunch of knuckleheads about the Linns.None of these guys actually owns one(I own three) but they all contend that I was bad-mouthing the Linn tables.I just love that kind of stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back