Overdriving headphones very briefly - damage?
Apr 4, 2019 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mustgroove

New Head-Fier
I overdrove some headphones very briefly on some bass-heavy material that was a bit louder than I thought it was. It would have been maybe 4 or 5 seconds max, but I could hear the driver on one side physically hitting the housing or something along those lines.

Is a brief overdrive episode like that gonna cause any lasting damage to the headphones?

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 9
A "bit louder" isn't going to do anything. Typical power levels to harm headphones are something like 30x the regular amount of power you'd give them.

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 9
It was loud enough that I could hear the driver physically hitting the housing - like it wasn't just "hey this is loud", the right-hand driver was distorting.

They sound fine now though, it's not like the right-hand side sounds off now. But has the driver been damaged by being loud enough to physically "clip" like that?

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 9
Yep I was wearing them, it wasn't so loud that it blew my head off or left me feeling like my hearing had been damaged. But it was loud, and the right-hand driver sounded "clipped" for the 4 or 5 seconds it took to turn the volume down

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 9
Your headphones shouldn't have any damage. If they were plugged to a desktop or a small amp, there wouldn't be enough power to do any harm. If anything, I would be more worried about your eardrums.

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 9
It definitely wasn't the source clipping. Focal Clear Professional running off a Benchmark DAC2 HGC. Searching on here I see other people have commented they do "overdrive" easily from bassy material so I figure that's what it was, in any case glad to have avoided any damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back